amending from MJS to MFJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amending from MJS to MFJ

I know I can, but how does the 1040X look? Do I put the total of both spouses on the original column and then the totals as MFJ on the amended column and an explanation of the numbers on the back? should I send a copy of the revised MFJ return with the amended?

Combine OK

I had a client who, in preparing their own returns the first year of marriage, created a HOH for the taxpayer and filed Single for the spouse. In amending the return, I combine the two returns into the original column, but included an detailed explanation that this included both previously filed returns. The IRS had no issues with the return. Since amended returns require some scrutiny on the part of the IRS, they should read the explanation attached.

And of course you would include a copy of the revised and correct MFJ return as a supporting worksheet for the amended return.

Comment

1040x

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
      I know I can, but how does the 1040X look? Do I put the total of both spouses on the original column and then the totals as MFJ on the amended column and an explanation of the numbers on the back? should I send a copy of the revised MFJ return with the amended?
      You put one spouse in column A and the other spouse in column B--then the total in column C.

See page 5 in the instruction for 1040X

Comment

Originally posted by Gene V View Post
        You put one spouse in column A and the other spouse in column B--then the total in column C.

See page 5 in the instruction for 1040X
        I agree..you start by using the male as the primary. I would start with a blank 1040 and enter all of the primary TP's information from the original return. Option would be XSP for preparer. Then copy this return and name it 1040X. Open a 1040X form and the state amended form. Go back to the federal form 1040X copy to input the secondary tax payer's info.
        The 1040X form will calculate itself and you will only need to input refunds received from the original returns and change the preparer info to your code.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Worked, thanks

Comment

Working...
          X