Rental and central air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rental and central air

I don't know why, but it is impossible for me to get a difinitive answer to depreciating a new a/c unit.
    Must it be depreciated for 27.5 years? It clearly would never have that kind of life.
    I read one page from a chat here, that suggested 10-15 years, but that is not definitive, either.

It seems like a simple question, but I'm camping out on it.

So, how long DO you depreciate central air on a rental?
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

From TTB, page 9-9:

Buildings include structural components such as walls, fixed partitions,
    floors, and ceilings, as well as any permanent coverings such
    as paneling or tiling, windows and doors, and all components of a
    central air-conditioning or heating system
    including motors, compressors,
    pipes, and ducts. Buildings also include plumbing fixtures such
    as sinks, bathtubs, electrical wiring and light fixtures, and other parts
    that together form an entire structure.
    Unless you have some special circumstance and have a cost segregation study performed, central air is depreciated under the same life as the building.

As to the expected useful life of an asset, under MACRS (and ACRS prior to 1987), it is irrelevant how long something is actually expected to last. The actual useful life of an asset hasn’t been used to determine depreciation since before 1981.

Comment

Thank you

I will keep this information close to my heart.
      Don't know why I feel the need to exhaust myself with this every single friggin time I have it. I've only been doing this for 18 years. I think I needs a nap......
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Originally posted by Possi View Post
        I will keep this information close to my heart.
        You know you need a vacation when tax information touches your heart. I suggest you go on an Alaskan cruise next July.

Video from the Radiance of the Seas Northwest of Glacier Bay on July 8, 2010 at 4 AM.Original music written and performed by Brad Imsdahl.

Comment

Working...
        X