Strange 1099- INT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange 1099- INT

I am looking at a 2012 1099-INT that a client received. The amount in box 1 is 1,487.50. The amount in box 4 is 3,087,981.00. DUH????

Look further

Is it an OID document?

Sometimes they have some "strange" numbers.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
      Is it an OID document?

Sometimes they have some "strange" numbers.

FE
      1099-INT not 1099-OID, but there is a 1099-OID in the same consolidated statement with no numbers on it.

Comment

Nobody is going to have $3 million in federal withholding on 1,400 of interest earned. Unless you want IRS criminal investigators knocking on your door, I would require your client to get a corrected 1099-INT before doing the return.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
          Nobody is going to have $3 million in federal withholding on 1,400 of interest earned. Unless you want IRS criminal investigators knocking on your door, I would require your client to get a corrected 1099-INT before doing the return.
          I am going ahead with the return claiming the interest but with no withholding. The client is contacting the issuer to get a corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Larmil View Post
            I am looking at a 2012 1099-INT that a client received. The amount in box 1 is 1,487.50. The amount in box 4 is 3,087,981.00. DUH????
            What you describe reminds me some of the OID scams that have been around, with phony claims of Federal tax witholding. Curious: is this a 1099-INT from an institution where the taxpayer has had long-standing accounts?

I have also seen a 1041-T fraud scam going around originating from Philadelphia, PA related to some UCC-1 filings in the State of Washington.
            Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

Strange but true

I once had a W2 with withholding that was over twice the gross income. http://www.w2in.com/data/Funny_w2.pdf

Comment

File an Oregon return

They will be happy to send you a refund.

Krystle Marie Reyes is accused of scamming the Oregon Department of Revenue out of $2.1 million by filing a fraudulent tax return.

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post
                  They will be happy to send you a refund.

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i...regon_tax.html
                  So she gets $2 million and goes out and splurges $2,000 for a used Dodge Caravan, then puts $800 worth of new tires on it.

What a big spender.

Comment

I am going ahead with the return claiming the interest but with no withholding. The client is contacting the issuer to get a corrected.
                    Don't file the return until you have the correct information.
                    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                      Don't file the return until you have the correct information.
                      I HAVE the correct information. The 1099-INT is incorrect.

Comment

Have the client verify the figures with the issuer.
                        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                        X