Ordering Transcript for Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordering Transcript for Client

Has anyone of you been requested by your client to order a copy of their transcript and have it sent to the financial aid office of their child's school?

I started getting this kind of request this year. A transcript handed to the financial aid office by the student is not good enough. The student aid office requires it to be sent directly to them from the IRS. Am I the one only who is getting such a request?

And to go online and order the transcript for a client, is it enough to just get an approval from them in an email? Do I need them to sign an official power of attorney?

I learn something new everyday.

I try not to get involved!

Its not only FSA requiring Transcripts but some lenders. I will email the TP the link and tell them if I order it for you (which I did once) I will charge you $25. Regardless if the Tax Preparer orders it or not, the IRS mails directly to the TP. If they request of copy of their tax return, I will charge and they need to pick it up but I suggest they order a transcript for its free and whoever is requiring this may actually need a transcript.

Comment

Originally posted by AccTaxMan View Post
      Has anyone of you been requested by your client to order a copy of their transcript and have it sent to the financial aid office of their child's school?I started getting this kind of request this year. A transcript handed to the financial aid office by the student is not good enough.
      It's becoming more common for these to be requested by the school. However, I have NEVER been asked by a client to order one. They can do it themselves. If they do the FAFSA online, they can access the IRS transcript records, but it takes 3 weeks after you file, and that's electronically. They can get a printed transcript from a local IRS office on the spot. Since 8863's were delayed filing this year, its getting pushed later and later.

Comment

Would the IRS send the transcript to an address that the taxpayer requests, such as to the financial aid office of their child's school? Based on what the client says, that's what the financial aid office wants.

Comment

If my memory serves me well.

Would the IRS send the transcript to an address that the taxpayer requests, such as to the financial aid office of their child's school? Based on what the client says, that's what the financial aid office wants.
          If my memory serves me well, the one and only one I ordered on behalf of my client would not allow any other address then TP address on record.

Comment

Yes

See Transcript request Line 5

Comment

Thanks Gene

Originally posted by Gene V View Post
              See Transcript request Line 5

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

Thanks Gene, I guess I didnt know that form existed. The transcript I ordered on behalf of my client was an online order thru IRS website. They received it within 5 days.

Comment

Working...
              X