Warning to PA tax preparers re: SP Credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning to PA tax preparers re: SP Credit

The SP credit is a PA state credit for low income persons that can elminate all or part of thier tax liablilty if there total income is under the threshold test. PA now requires that this elegibility income test include 1099-R income that is code 4 income (on account of death). So a widow collecting her suvivors pension who used to get this credit now probably will not get the credit. Normal pension coded 7 do not have to be included but now code 4 pensions do. My software package (Drake) has already made this change.

Now I am thinking back on all the clients I have done so far, Thanks for the scoop!

Comment

Thanks for the heads up and timely message!

Comment

And thanks to Drake for bringing it to my attention.

Comment

Pro Series has this fix also.

One other thing that many do not know about "Utilities deducted as a business-use-of-home expense are subject to use tax. The amount of use tax must be calculated and entered on PA-40 line 25."

So if you have a home office or your business is in the home and you deduct Utilities you have to pay Use tax on those utilities.

Dusty

Comment

Thank you Duslty, I assume if the utility bill is a commercail account, the sales tax is charged in the bill, it's just personal accounts where the salses tax is not charged.

Comment

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
              Thank you Dusty, I assume if the utility bill is a commercail account, the sales tax is charged in the bill, it's just personal accounts where the salses tax is not charged.
              Would a commercial account be located in a home office situation?

Dusty

Comment

Would that use tax also apply to utilities for a rental? Is there a difference between utilities deducted because they're included in rent versus utilities not included in rent, but paid by landlord because the unit sat vacant for some period?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
                  Would that use tax also apply to utilities for a rental? Is there a difference between utilities deducted because they're included in rent versus utilities not included in rent, but paid by landlord because the unit sat vacant for some period?
                  Yes on the first question. For the second questions, doesn't look like any differerence.

"Certain utilities, which are not subject to
                  sales and use tax when purchased exclusively for residential
                  use, become subject to sales and use tax when
                  used for commercial purposes. Commercial purposes includes
                  rental property owned by an individual and held
                  out for rent by another individual or business.

If you are including electricity,
                  natural gas, fuel oil, or kerosene in your calculation
                  of utilities expense and the property is not listed as commercial
                  property with the utility company or as a commercial
                  entity with the fuel oil or kerosene supplier, you should
                  report use tax due on the related expense amounts."

Thanks for the info, Dusty2004. I didn't locate this info in prior year instructions or worksheets.

Comment

Glad to help

Originally posted by BP. View Post
                    Thanks for the info, Dusty2004. I didn't locate this info in prior year instructions or worksheets.
                    That is what makes this forum so useful. People trying to help one another solve tax pains.

Dusty

Comment

Working...
                    X