Common Agent and TaxSlayer Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Common Agent and TaxSlayer Pro

I have a client who changed companies during the year.

Company #1 - is the Common agent for 2 companies.
    Client worked at #1 for 1/2 and then #2 for remainder.

Client paid excess SS working for these two companies.
    My initial response was the companies owe the $110 refund.

However, the letter given to me with IRS names and badge numbers state they are treated as separate companies.

Who can tell me more about this and more importantly - how to key in TaxSlayer to get the right answer??

Thank you in advance.
    Matthew Jones
    Tax Preparation
    Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
    Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

So did the taxpayer get 2Ws (one from each company?)

Comment

Common Agent.

No. That's just it.. He received ONE W-2 (would have helped to mention that).

There are two EIN listed at the bottom similar to multi-state W2's.

I have a letter I will get a copy and past after removing name, etc.
      Matthew Jones
      Tax Preparation
      Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
      Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Originally posted by MAJ View Post
        No. That's just it.. He received ONE W-2 (would have helped to mention that).
        There are two EIN listed at the bottom similar to multi-state W2's.
        I have a letter I will get a copy and past after removing name, etc.
        They should have issued 2 separate W-2's under 2 separate EINs with the wages and withholding applicable to each. I am assuming there is only one EIN listed at the top? They need to correct this asap. The only way the software and the IRS computers are going to process this if it is input as two separate W-2's. And then you are going to have a problem with the withholding as it stands, since apparently it is all under one! But you don't know for sure. It would depend on how the 941's were submitted and processed.

This is usually done in this manner when it is one company and the TP works in different states. Are you sure the EIN's are not state EIN's? Was there more than one state involved? That would make sense.
        Last edited by Burke; 03-21-2013, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X