New York Registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York Registration

I have a TN resident who owned property on Long Island that was devastated by Hurricane Sandy. After tons of expenses and insurance reimbursements, she will be selling the property in a few weeks.

A friend from Rochester recently sold and said that the state of New York will deduct State Taxes from the proceeds, in an effort to assure that the seller files New York state tax.

I am not registered with the State of New York as a tax preparer. I anticipate preparing only one return in 2013. Do I need to be registered?

Yes...you must register to prepare 1 tax return for NY State. I am in PA and had to register several years ago and it was quite easy as you can do it online.

Comment

NY Registration

Thanks for the heads up. I have 2 NY returns that I do and have not registered in the past. I did register, but was not aware I needed to register.

Comment

Fee Associated?

Is registration free? If not, I'll have to pass it on to my client, and not feel greedy about it. She says her Long Island preparer charges 4X what I do.

I understand. If I were up there I'd have to at least double my fee to pay for the extra overhead.

Comment

Information is here:

Generally, if you’re a New York State tax return preparer or facilitator, you must register annually with the Tax Department. If you’re a tax return preparer, you may also need to complete continuing professional education (CPE) requirements and pay a registration fee.

No fee if you do fewer than 10 returns. If you do 10 or more it's $100.

There's a list of excluded tax return preparers that includes CPA, EA, Attorneys, and some others. That list is here: http://www.tax.ny.gov/tp/reg/tpregmore.htm

So I'd imagine Traveling EA didn't actually need to register.

Comment

Thanks

I guess I did not have to register yet. I did do the preliminary, however it takes at least 24 hours to complete the registration. I thought I was exempt from registering in prior years, since I was an EA, but I looked at who must register this year, and I missed the mention of EA's etc being exempt.

Comment

Working...
            X