POA for mfj years but S deceased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POA for mfj years but S deceased

OK my question is about what name or names to put on a POA for the IRS. The POA concerns a late not yet filed overdue return which will be MFJ. I would know what to put except that the spouse died in 2012 so I am tempted either to leave her off the POA or possibly indicate on it that she is deceased. If I decide to do the latter I will need to know how. For example would I go John Doe / Jane Doe Deceased / 123 Goneaway St /Asheville NC 28804?

Originally posted by erchess View Post
    OK my question is about what name or names to put on a POA for the IRS. The POA concerns a late not yet filed overdue return which will be MFJ. I would know what to put except that the spouse died in 2012 so I am tempted either to leave her off the POA or possibly indicate on it that she is deceased. If I decide to do the latter I will need to know how. For example would I go John Doe / Jane Doe Deceased / 123 Goneaway St /Asheville NC 28804?
    If Jane is dead, she can't possibly give you a POA at this late date.

However, he may. But you say something about a "late overdue return?" FOr 2011? 2010?
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Off the top of my head

my memory says that we got 2009 filed some time between 12/26 and 1/5 and that both 10 and 11 are due to be done.

Comment

include a letter of explanation on the prior year returns. Have TP sign and file F56 separately and 1310 on the tax returns.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

LIke I said I have to do a POA

The reason I have to do a POA is so the IRS will talk to me about a delay in the previously negotiated schedule on which these returns should be done. My client's work in national security interfered with his getting me what I need when I need it to meet that schedule. The same thing happened last time I got this guy out of a jam but the IRS agent first told me no more time then called back to say the Pentagon had called him and we could have the time we asked for.

So his now dead wife will be filing jointly with him on the eventual returns for years during which she was alive. Do I list her on the POA and if so how? Will the IRS discuss his situation with me on the strength of a POA with no mention of her on it?

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
            The reason I have to do a POA is so the IRS will talk to me about a delay in the previously negotiated schedule on which these returns should be done. My client's work in national security interfered with his getting me what I need when I need it to meet that schedule. The same thing happened last time I got this guy out of a jam but the IRS agent first told me no more time then called back to say the Pentagon had called him and we could have the time we asked for.

So his now dead wife will be filing jointly with him on the eventual returns for years during which she was alive. Do I list her on the POA and if so how? Will the IRS discuss his situation with me on the strength of a POA with no mention of her on it?
            Put her on as deceased and include a copy of the F56
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X