Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099R, zero taxable, subj to 10% penalty

WTH?
    So, why would the 1099R show a non-taxable distribution is subj to a 10% penalty?

What is subj to the penalty? Box 1 distribution OR the taxable portion of the distribution?
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

What type of plan?

If you convert a traditional IRA into a Roth in year one, you'll pay taxes on it in year one. If you take it out in year 3, there won't be any income taxes - they've already been paid - but there will be a 10% penalty because of the five year rule for conversions and rollovers.

Comment

Tax free combat zone

The entire distribution was from combat-zone tax free money that was put into a TSP and taken out. So the distribution is tax free.

So, why in the world would it be subject to a penalty?
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Early Withdrawal Penalty Tax

Depending on your age when you leave Federal service as well as your withdrawal option and its timing, you may be subject to the IRS 10% early withdrawal penalty tax on the taxable portion of your withdrawal.

From: https://www.tsp.gov/planparticipatio...thdrawal.shtml

Are you sure all the codes are correct?

Mike

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by mactoolsix View Post
          Depending on your age when you leave Federal service as well as your withdrawal option and its timing, you may be subject to the IRS 10% early withdrawal penalty tax on the taxable portion of your withdrawal.

From: https://www.tsp.gov/planparticipatio...thdrawal.shtml

Are you sure all the codes are correct?

Mike
          Yes. Thanks, Mike. That's just exactly what I needed to know. This TSP is new to me. Great link!

Comment

Working...
          X