W-2 issued to wrong state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W-2 issued to wrong state

A client worked temporarily in Milwaukee and entered MI (for Milwaukee) rather than WI (for Wisconsin) on information reported to his employer. His W-2 shows $10745 as MI income.

Is there any way to correct this with MI without obtaining a corrected W-2?

I've prepared a part-year resident return for Wisconsin, but the W-2 was issued to Michigan, so they have the tax withheld.
    Also, I do not want to file the Wisc return until this is straightened out.

File a NR WI return with no WI sourced income to get the withholding refunded.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
      File a NR WI return with no WI sourced income to get the withholding refunded.
      Since he worked in WI, he owes the tax to WI, but the W-2 and tax WH was sent to MI.
      I could file a MI return indicating no MI income, but the W-2 would indicate otherwise.

Comment

Short term memory is fried. MI NR return. If no MI sourced income, then that's what you report. Expect to get a letter. You'll respond that employer withheld from the wrong state in error and include a copy of his WI return reporting the income. Continue trying to get a corrected W-2 (fat chance, but it helps your chance of getting a letter from employer) or a letter from employer stating the work place was in WI and not MI. I've done this for a couple of different states.

Have one this year where client worked on a ship based out of Newport, OR, but some data entry clerk must've thought the only Newport was in RI and withheld for RI. Client on a ship with direct deposit and mail going to his parents' house in CT, so didn't discover the issue until his mom opened his W-2 and called him!

Comment

Working...
        X