TaxSlayer Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TaxSlayer Help

No - I know this isn't the TSP support board. But since many of you use TaxSlayer Pro I figured I'd bounce this off a few..

Purchased TSP Friday night after giving up on TRX - They are KILLING ME.
    I could not file any State returns. This week / next week / tired of listening. What a shame!!

So, here I am trying to re-create returns and ran into some issues.
    First. The Education credits are being calculated differently so that means different final return amounts.

Also, the UI/DI/FLI amounts from NJ were NOT being added into Schedule A. So there's $200+ worth of deductions alone.

Line 49 on old program shows $1,500 - TSP shows $1,335 - Another 165 difference.

So the question is - In order to get to the same (wrong) value so I can set up to amend, is there a way to override a value in TSP??

Help is appreciated.
    Matthew Jones
    Tax Preparation
    Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
    Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

TaxSlayer Support

Matthew, TaxSlayer Support is ranked #1 by NATP. They should be your best source for questions of this nature. Having used TaxSlayer in the past, I'm sure it is a matter of familiarization with menus. Although I did warn you about their weakness in some of the states outside of the southeast.

If they are not helping you, the rest of us would appreciate knowing, as ALL of us need to evaluate our software from time to time.
    Last edited by Snaggletooth; 03-13-2013, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Yes Matthew I agree with Snag.. Call support. If they can't figure out what is wrong by talking to you, they will have you send the return to them and they will look at it and figure it out.

Maybe you should not try to recreate wrong return and just do the 1040X by manually putting in the wrong figures and then the correct figures.

Linda, EA

Comment

I agree with Linda. If you're entering data to amend a wrong return, do NOT recreate the wrong return. Prepare a correct return; then choose the 1040X, keeping your data in column C, and type in the original wrong numbers in column A. You get the best of all worlds, help from your software to create the amendment and no wasted time inputting a wrong return that you don't want to keep anyway. Much faster. (And, if your software is good, it's probably a pain and time-consuming to override to get to wrong numbers.)

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
          I agree with Linda. If you're entering data to amend a wrong return, do NOT recreate the wrong return. Prepare a correct return; then choose the 1040X, keeping your data in column C, and type in the original wrong numbers in column A. You get the best of all worlds, help from your software to create the amendment and no wasted time inputting a wrong return that you don't want to keep anyway. Much faster. (And, if your software is good, it's probably a pain and time-consuming to override to get to wrong numbers.)
          We've done a few miscalculated returns for new clients. We always put in the return as best we can, then do the 1040X. As usual print both original and amended & stamp as such - PLUS we always include copies of the "self-prepared" return with a statement as to why.

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X