Medical expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical expenses

I have a client who is medically well-insured She produced a very substantial amount of medical expenses. In addition to insurance, doctors, dentists, hospitals, prescriptions, and equipment like eyeglasses and hearing aids, she listed several thousand dollars of "other medical expenses," along with a surprisingly large amount of medical mileage. When pressed, she said these were for Tai Chi and use of a swimming pool. She brought in an after the fact physician's letter (dated last week!) stating, in its entirety:

"To whom it may concern: My patient, Ms. X, has a history of hip fracture and would benefit from swimming and doing Tai Chi on a regular basis."

My strong feeling is that this will not cut it for a deductible medical expense. Does anybody feel differently?
    Evan Appelman, EA

Yes, but not me

I'm sure someone disagrees with you, but I'm not one of them.

All of us have clients who want to push the envelope as far as they can, and push us along with everything else. There is hardly anything spent that cannot at some ridiculous stretch of the imagination qualify for a deduction.

We don't have to take the same position as an IRS auditor, but we obviously have to use some judgement. I think the old measuring stick might still muster support - where if two of three preparers would deny the client, then we should deny him as well.

I think among this forum, more than 66% of us would support you and not the client. We'll see how many others post, and how many of us (if any) would deduct this expense if she were OUR client...

Comment

Good try

I "think" this medical deduction would be a stretch, to include all those miles. (Isn't there a nearby pool?)

And, upon looking through Pub 520, the following then appears:

"You cannot include in medical expenses the cost of dancing lessons, swimming lessons, etc., even if they are recommended by a doctor, if they are only for the improvement of general health."

FE

Comment

" and would benefit from swimming and doing Tai Chi on a regular basis."

This is a far cry from recommended or prescribed for a medical purpose. We all could benefit from exercise on a regular basis. I would look very closely at all of her medical deductions as a result of this. And I don't accept "misc" expenses under any category.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

prescription

I was of the opinion that if a doctor was prescribing a certain treatment or purchase of something to help a person's health or healing process, he would write a prescription for that item or treatment. If that were the case, then it would be deductible.

This year one of my clients had surgery on her sinuses. The doctor told her not to lay flat in the bed. She needs to be propped up when sleeping. So she bought a very expensive bed that you can raise the head and feet. She called the doctor's office while we were doing the taxes. The nurse said in all the years she has worked for this doctor he has never written a prescription for those beds. I guess you could sleep in a recliner or find another way to raise the head of your bed.

So the doctor probably would not write a prescription for what she is wanting. A letter was probably the best he could do. And so no deduction in my opinion.

Linda, EA

Comment

She didnt have to buy a bed,, all she needed was a wedge pillow

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
              So she bought a very expensive bed that you can raise the head and feet. She called the doctor's office while we were doing the taxes. The nurse said in all the years she has worked for this doctor he has never written a prescription for those beds. I guess you could sleep in a recliner or find another way to raise the head of your bed.
              What are the odds the person who sold her the bed said the cost was deductible on her tax return?

My sister-in-law was notified by the salesman that her $5,000 new furnace was tax deductible. Yeah, all $5,000

Comment

Originally posted by Roberts View Post
                What are the odds the person who sold her the bed said the cost was deductible on her tax return?

My sister-in-law was notified by the salesman that her $5,000 new furnace was tax deductible. Yeah, all $5,000
                I would have asked him where he got his tax degree

Comment

Originally posted by Roberts View Post

I would have asked him where he got his tax degree or, at the very least, show me the IRS code that allows this

Comment

My understaning

is that if the doctor will write out that the taxpayer has been diagnosed by him or her or by someone else in particular as having a given disease condition or problem and that he or she recommends doing x about it I will claim the cost as a medical expense. One obvious exception would be the cost of special food where only the excess cost over the cost of regular food would be deductible. With the case of the bed I'd at least want to ask the doctor why a wedge cushion was not just as good. With the recommendation of an expensive car that is not in some way adapted for use by a handicapped taxpayer even I would have reached my limit. But I would deduct the swimming in this post in a heartbeat. The quoted language from the doctor did not seem to mention the tai chi so no deduction there. My doctor recommends in writing that I exercise not for general health but for specific conditions and I would write off the costs if I were in a position to itemize profitably.

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
                      is that if the doctor will write out that the taxpayer has been diagnosed by him or her or by someone else in particular as having a given disease condition or problem and that he or she recommends doing x about it I will claim the cost as a medical expense. One obvious exception would be the cost of special food where only the excess cost over the cost of regular food would be deductible. With the case of the bed I'd at least want to ask the doctor why a wedge cushion was not just as good. With the recommendation of an expensive car that is not in some way adapted for use by a handicapped taxpayer even I would have reached my limit. But I would deduct the swimming in this post in a heartbeat. The quoted language from the doctor did not seem to mention the tai chi so no deduction there. My doctor recommends in writing that I exercise not for general health but for specific conditions and I would write off the costs if I were in a position to itemize profitably.
                      The doctor did not write her a script for swimming...is there anything in her medical records in regard to this injury that specifically states she should be tai ching and swimming? The doctor merely said, yes these would be good for her health; he didn't say he ordered it as PT for her condition. And by the way, doctors do order the PT. This is not deductible.

Comment

Working...
                      X