CPA did not sign as paid preparer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPA did not sign as paid preparer?

I have a new client this year and in reviewing the clients previous year tax return, prepared by a CPA, I notice nothing in the signature or firm area indicating paid preparer. It is blank. I searched the zip code on the IRS website and could not locate the CPA as an e-file provider either.

The invoice appears to not be from a software program, it looks like it was made in excel. Also, the invoice is for "consulting", nowhere on it does it mention tax preparation. This is a fairly straightforward return.

Is this legal?

Why does this concern you?
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

This is a Dead End Street

Plowboy, you are looking at a copy. Many people sign originals and do not sign copies, so it's possible that all the appropriate documents were indeed properly signed. If somehow this important, you might look at the signature at the bottom of Form 8879, where a signed copy of the ERO is supposed to be delivered to the e-file client.

Where are you going with the home-made invoice (if indeed this is what happened)? Perhaps, the CPA firm is not genuine, and is formatting a phony invoice? What is your client telling you about his former preparer? Are you contemplating an amended return??

Comment

I've done invoices on excel.

But...are you saying that there is no firm name or information in the paid preparer area, or just no signature?

Comment

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
          I've done invoices on excel.
          But...are you saying that there is no firm name or information in the paid preparer area, or just no signature?
          No firm name or information in the paid preparer area, nothing, blank...

Comment

Originally posted by MRPLOW View Post
            "Badge of fraud". well, maybe not "fraud", but certainly of a preparer who has something to hide. Like maybe disbarrment by IRS. And how do you know it was prepared by a cpa? Down South, the term "cpa" has become generic for all accountants.
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
              "Badge of fraud". well, maybe not "fraud", but certainly of a preparer who has something to hide. Like maybe disbarrment by IRS. And how do you know it was prepared by a cpa? Down South, the term "cpa" has become generic for all accountants.
              She has an active CPA license in the state.

Comment

Was it a charity case, or maybe an honest oversight?
                If not, you apparently have reasons for questioning something on the return - something more than an administrative foul-up at the CPA's office. Right?
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                  Was it a charity case, or maybe an honest oversight?
                  If not, you apparently have reasons for questioning something on the return - something more than an administrative foul-up at the CPA's office. Right?
                  Not a charity case, as the T/P paid a fee for the preparation. It appears to be an attempt to circumvent IRS rules to me, as it was billed as "consultation".

Comment

She has an active CPA license in the state.
                    Okay, good for now; however, said cpa might still be under investigation by the the feds with final action not yet taken.

There is really something fishy going on here. the preparer just didn't want his/her name on the return. Why?
                    ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

If you want to report this CPA for alleged wrong doing, then read this article.

TheTaxBook is the #1 fast-answer tax publication in America. Our publications provide fast answers to tax questions for tax practitioners!

Comment

I am not sure it is required on a client copy.
                        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                          I have seen copies of hundreds of professionally prepared returns and every single one of them had the firm information in the paid preparer box... Plus an invoice that is billed as a "consultation" with no mention of tax prep.

Comment

TheTaxBook is the #1 fast-answer tax publication in America. Our publications provide fast answers to tax questions for tax practitioners!

From the link above...

"Paid preparer filed returns using off-the-shelf software or free file. The paid tax preparer provides the taxpayer with a copy of the return that is marked “self prepared” and/or has no identifying information such as his or her signature, PTIN, firm name, or address."

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                              I would say it is required to furnish client with complete copy of the return to include preparer's data.
                              It wouldn't be "complete" without that information.

Only thing not required is that preparer sign client's copy.
                              ChEAr$,
                              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                              X