Temporary location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temporary location?

My client worked in NC for part of the year, last year, and bought a home there with the idea of renting it out when his gig was up. If his mileage back and forth is deductible, is any of the housing deductible, too? Where would I find that?

This was in TTB 10-4
    Temporary work location. Defined as a work location that is
    realistically expected to last, and does in fact last, for one year
    or less. Commuting from home to a temporary work location is
    deductible only if the taxpayer has one or more regular work locations,
    or the temporary work location is outside the taxpayer’s
    tax home area.
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

He can take travel, lodging, meals, incidentals but whether the IRS would accept the purchasing a house I don't know. It wouldn't be any different than renting and paying the utilities and then he would also be able to deduct the expenses allowed when owning a second home. Is his mortgage monthly higher than a FMV rental in the area? Interesting question. Maybe Special Counsel would have an answer. I would like to know, now that you have brought it up.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Well now...

This gig lasted less than a year but now I learn that it was first supposed to last more than a year, and he chose to end it and come home.
      That's a whole different story.
      They gonna pay....
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Working...
      X