Entering Donations which TP already itemized & totaled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entering Donations which TP already itemized & totaled

I have a few clients that bring me their rather long list of Charities they donate to via check or credit card. The list is itemized with amt donated placed next to the relating Charity name. The clients totaled up all donations and I check the math for any errors. Do any of you have clients like this and if so do you enter each Charity individually along with the relating amt or do you enter something to the effect on one line "various charities" and then the total amt? Ln 16 on Sch A list the total anyway. I scan the client custom made document listing each Charity and the amt along with the supporting document TP recieved from each Charity.

I input each separately unless there is more than one cash donation to the same charity. In this case I will input the total donated in the year. With non-cash I do input each separately.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Charity

I use "Various", after scanning the list for items that are not deductible such as political contributions, non-cash, individuals, etc. Non-cash, I enter individually.

Comment

If it's a short list or if the client mentions they give to the same charities each year, I input the list. If I use Various Charities, I still input separately any that are $250 or over for the year. And, non-cash are all separate.

Comment

I usually list them separately, but I see nothing wrong with scanning the information the client provided and just entering the total.

The main reason I list them is so the client can see that I didn't miss any of them.

Comment

My softtware links that Sched A line for a listing and I show each one seperate, then the total is automatically carried onto the A and I can be sure the total matches (I let the software do the adding and matching is my check)

Comment

For other than property donations requiring a 8283, I will list them if they are few. Maybe the church if it is a large amt, and then group other small ones and show a total. I copy the TP list for my files. Even for the 8283, if there are 7 to Goodwill, I will group with one entry most of the time.

Comment

I list separately because sooner or later Uncle is going to require it that way. Is anyone checking the status of the non-profits this year?
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                X