Time to move one... But I cannot decide Drake or TaxSlayerPro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to move one... But I cannot decide Drake or TaxSlayerPro

TRX has really upset me. They have been telling me for weeks NJ & NY will be ready this week.
    Now I find out it could be another two weeks. I've been stalling customers with thier NY/NJ returns and it's just not right.
    These peope are expecting $$ and " I " am not delivering.

TaxSlayerPro came out with a great offer - Buy 2012 now and recieve 2013 Free.
    I was hoping Drake would honor the offer - Unfortunately not.

So, TaxSlayerPro for $1,095 for 2012 & 2013.
    OR, Drake Software for $1,495 now and another $1,095.00 by end of April.

It is and isn't about the money. What wouuld you do??
    I'm Sooooo confused....

Who shines better in diagnostics and reporting??

I know posts regarding software are old news -- but this is a twist.. Help me out..
    I need some valid points. Not just Drake is greta. TaxSlayerPro is great...

Has anyone owned or used both?? Preferrence??
    Matthew Jones
    Tax Preparation
    Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
    Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

TaxslayerPro

I will tell you why I started using TaxslayerPro and have kept using it. When I started, I tried one of the more expensive programs (can't remember which one) and really didn't like the fact that for a simple return you had 30 pages of paper....cover sheets, the return and worksheets for everything and nothing. At that rate I would go broke buying paper. I went to the IRS forum and Taxslayer was demonstrating their program. It was so easy to use and easy to follow. It was affordable. So I bought it. I never had a problem learning how to use the program. It just seemed to flow. Everyone says a program works for you if it works like you think. Well, I guess TaxslayerPro works like my brain does.

If I ever have to call for support, they are quick to answer and help you out. Their support is very highly rated. They have made changes in the middle of the season when they need to be made. They have looked at returns for me when I couldn't figure out the problem and worked it out.

I think one reason they have been successful is because they started out as a tax preparation firm. When they couldn't find software that worked for them, they decided to write their own. They understand what we are doing. They aren't just programmers writing a program. They use the program themselves.

I stay for all those reasons. Now I stay because I also use their bookkeeeping program and this year I am using their financial services for those handful of returns that need fees withheld. So I can get everything I need from one company.

I tried Drake. It wasn't as easy for me to use but I didn't do a lot of returns on it. Just didn't have the time to play around. I thought I might change because of their bookkeeping program that came with it. But I really didn't like the looks of the reports. TaxslayerBooks isn't perfect but it is workable and I only have around 5 companies that I do bookkeeping for now.

Hope this is of some help to you. I think they are probably the 2 best companies in that price range. But that is a terrific deal that TaxslayerPro offered you.

Linda, EA

Comment

Can't compare Drake as I've never used it, but I do use Tax Slayer and absolutely love it. Bought it originally in 2007 on a recommendation of a friend. Prior to this I had worked for Jackson Hewitt and was familiar with their software. Was concerned about the switch but it was amazing how easy it was to learn Tax Slayer and immediately I liked it even better than what I had been using. Support has always been great, answer almost immediately. Sometime wait time of less than a minute. They are very good to help with any problem. Lately I really appreciate all the checks and balances in the program. Seems anything I might forget they have something that reminds me. Just love those features. Their state programs were all available very early on. Price is best I've ever seen. I haven't seen any other company that can beat their price, but the quality and value are there. Other bonus features as part of the software package you also get Tax Book at no extra charge, on line version. This past year they offered CEU for free and I was able to do all my CEU for at no charge. Best value and best price in my opinion

Comment

Have Used Both in Recent Years

I was happy with TaxSlayer, as it was potent enough for the price. Great support. I had to quit because I had entities in far-off states.
        (TS is in Augusta GA and does a fine job on Southeastern States).

So I became in the market for software that was more potent, and developed in states like Oregon and Idaho for corporations, S-corps and individuals. Drake was the answer. Also has great support. Seems like the horror stories about holding for 30 minutes only apply to the huge companies.

TaxSlayer is essentially selling you next year's product. This year's product has already been developed and they don't have any more cost tied up in the 2012 version. The same is true of Drake as far as cost is concerned...I can't believe they would charge you full price for 2012 at this late date, in fact I don't think you were talking to the right people. Of the two, I prefer Drake, but if they are going to hold your feet to the fire on price at this date, I would choose TaxSlayer. If you talk to Drake again, you might mention that on April 16th they will convert their 2012 version to a demo and give it away, free.

Comment

And my feet already hurt!!

That is one reason I went with TaxSlayer - I wasn't going to be held for ransom. I have heard great things about both.
          But I am with TaxSlayer now. Pulled the trigger last night. They just grabbed all of my data files from last year and I should have them on Monday.
          Excited to move on - nervous a bit because of all the work I have to do.

Thank you for your input (all of you) - Now I have 2 licenses for TTB - Trying to see if I can get a credit towards other stuff.

Have a great weekend people - in between all of the work!

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
          I was happy with TaxSlayer, as it was potent enough for the price. Great support. I had to quit because I had entities in far-off states.
          (TS is in Augusta GA and does a fine job on Southeastern States).

So I became in the market for software that was more potent, and developed in states like Oregon and Idaho for corporations, S-corps and individuals. Drake was the answer. Also has great support. Seems like the horror stories about holding for 30 minutes only apply to the huge companies.

TaxSlayer is essentially selling you next year's product. This year's product has already been developed and they don't have any more cost tied up in the 2012 version. The same is true of Drake as far as cost is concerned...I can't believe they would charge you full price for 2012 at this late date, in fact I don't think you were talking to the right people. Of the two, I prefer Drake, but if they are going to hold your feet to the fire on price at this date, I would choose TaxSlayer. If you talk to Drake again, you might mention that on April 16th they will convert their 2012 version to a demo and give it away, free.
          Matthew Jones
          Tax Preparation
          Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
          Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Working...
          X