IRRV Trust created, House sold then Grantor dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRRV Trust created, House sold then Grantor dies

From my understanding from my prospect, the Irrevocable Trust was created mid 2012. The residence house of the Grantor of the trust, was sold and proceeds from the residence house sale went into the IRRV trust. Shortly after the in 4qtr of 2012, Grantor dies. Within 8 days after Grantor's death, all funds in the IRRV trust (which was only the house proceeds) was divided up among all kids. The form SS-4 the IRRV trust received from the IRS back in June 2012 states the Trust needs to file form 1041. Anyone had experience with one of these before?

I've done irrevocable trust returns. There is good information on how to prepare those returns starting on page 21-10 of TheTaxBook. It even has sample Form 1041 returns to demonstrate how they work. I suggest you read that info.

Comment

You may have to file a 1041 trust tax return if it had sufficient income during the time it was in existence to be required to file. First thing, get the trust document so you know exactly what you are dealing with, and don't rely on what the client says it is.

Comment

Working...
      X