Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biz deductions? I think it's a stretch but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biz deductions? I think it's a stretch but....

New clients, one spouse is a psychotherapist and other works for the Music Center, a performing arts complex. Therapist has clients in the performing arts and wants to deduct the cost of tickets to shows in which his clients perform, to better understand their issues. He is self employed.

Husband was told by colleagues at the Music Center that he could write off anything connected with performing arts, since he is in major gifts fundraising. By attending rival performances, he can glean possible donors from the donor lists in the programs, and get ideas for program and fundraising development. He is an employee, and not required to attend outside performances.

A stretch? IMHO, the fundraiser may have a deduction. I'm getting more clients in SoCal, and more and more that are in the performing arts area, so any help would be appreciated.

I would think so

...and not as much a stretch as one might think if we were the performer.

Basketball coaches often pay admission to scout opposing teams, and that is an effective and mainstream activity for the coach. I have a couple that I do in fact deduct not only the admission tickets, but also the mileage. Loses some of this to the 2% misc Sch A, but we deduct it nonetheless.

Comment

The self employed one also teaches online courses for a W2 wage, so we'll have quite a bit of EBE. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Working...
      X