Wrong SSN on W-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong SSN on W-2

If the SSN of the taxpayer on the W-2 is incorrect, should we wait until the employer correct the SSN before we efile the tax return? The name on the W-2 is correct.

The employee should bring the error to his employer's attention and ask that a form W-2c be prepared and sent to him. Here's a link to the IRS's instructions

The relevant instruction is on page 5.

I don't think I would e-file that return even if a W-2c is received, and I definitely wouldn't try to e-file it using the current W-2 with the wrong SSN.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

I had that happen this year. I made a mistake on an employee's w-2 and the employer/client notified me (fortunately before we sent in the Copy A/W-3 - always good to hold those things a few days).

I sent them a corrected W-2 but the employer told me that when he handed it to the employee he said "I don't need it - my tax guy just e-filed with the right socsec number."
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

If I knew

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
        I had that happen this year. I made a mistake on an employee's w-2 and the employer/client notified me (fortunately before we sent in the Copy A/W-3 - always good to hold those things a few days).

I sent them a corrected W-2 but the employer told me that when he handed it to the employee he said "I don't need it - my tax guy just e-filed with the right socsec number."
        If I knew the client, and had e-filed a return that was accepted in years past, I would tell him to alert the employer, but I'd go ahead with the return.
        If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

And once you have filed it what if the employer refuses to correct it, or his building burns down and all records are loss, or whatever. I wouldn't file without a correct W2 in hand.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Ah, the Armageddon scenario, I forgot about that

Originally posted by taxea View Post
            And once you have filed it what if the employer refuses to correct it, or his building burns down and all records are loss, or whatever.
            Well, you are correct, of course. In the case of the ER burned building, I would run a copy of the W-2 in my file to help out. Actually, I might even offer to correct the W-2 for free, cause, wow, he is down on his luck. In the case of the ER refusal to correct, I guess I would help the client correct his SS earnings record, pro bono, of course:

So, here is another suggestion to the original poster: Have taxpayer request a corrected W-2, and give the ER a couple weeks to do it. Or a couple days if he really doesn't like his job. Then follow the instructions below:

Last edited by RitaB; 03-03-2013, 10:33 AM.
            If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post

And he was correct in so doing Instructions from IRS say for the employee to simply line thru the incorrect ssn And write the correct on above it. Such a W2 may be efiled.

Of course he also wants to get employer to send in correction to SSA.
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Good to know, thanks Harlan....but how does the IRS "darling" match the W2 if their copy has the wrong number?

Comment

Good to know, thanks Harlan....but how does the IRS "darling" match the W2 if their copy has the wrong number?
                  True a cp 2000 might be generated, but not because income is more than they know about, but if withholding is more than they know.

Notice I say "might be". If not,no problem. If so, answer the cp2000.
                  Hopefully it won't come to that because by the time those letters hit the streets, the employer will have had time to send a corrected w2 to SSA and thereby on to IRS.
                  ChEAr$,
                  Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                    True a cp 2000 might be generated, but not because income is more than they know about, but if withholding is more than they know.

Notice I say "might be". If not,no problem. If so, answer the cp2000.
                    Hopefully it won't come to that because by the time those letters hit the streets, the employer will have had time to send a corrected w2 to SSA and thereby on to IRS.
                    very true, but I would rather have a corrected W2 than have to deal with the prospect of a cp2000 that will cost the TP for me to answer it. Unnecessary expense to TP that I could have avoided.

Comment

very true, but I would rather have a corrected W2 than have to deal with the prospect of a cp2000 that will cost the TP for me to answer it. Unnecessary expense to TP that I could have avoided.
                      BUT>...... as I remember the instructions (and you can check this out), it is not necessary to furnish a corrected W2 to the employee IF the only correction is the SSN.
                      ChEAr$,
                      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                      X