Short Term Disability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Term Disability

I've not researched this, will in a few, gotta do other things first. I client called and asked if short term disability taxable? I'm thinking no in some situations and yes in others? Does anyone know right off (without having to research) if short term disability is ever taxable?

Ok, Have researched this now. However, the client through me for a loop when she said the disability was from medicare and it comes from her medicare check? Maybe she means SS check? Anyway, she's 68 so I'm thinking it is not taxable income? Am I right?

Comment

Confusion over disability issue

I never heard of getting "disability" from Medicare. Perhaps from Medicaid/SSI?? Of course, people can receive (early) Social Security benefits due to a demonstrated disability.

OTOH, it sounds as if the person may just be receiving (potentially taxable) Social Security benefits as the result of an earlier disability. But at age 68, that point would almost be moot.

Whether there is any potential short-term/long-term employer "disability" issue is also likely not to be a part of this conversation. Such benefits can be taxed in different ways, relevant to the circumstances involved.

I would strongly suggest you have this woman show you some relevant paperwork/tax documents!

FE

Comment

My thoughts too--thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
        X