tax savers credit and military dist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tax savers credit and military dist

I have read that a distribution from millitary does not make one ineligible for the tax savers credit. Is there somewhere on the
    return that we indicate military distribution?

Originally posted by gman View Post
    I have read that a distribution from millitary does not make one ineligible for the tax savers credit. Is there somewhere on the
    return that we indicate military distribution?
    Are you asking is there somewhere in the software to so indicate? You don't have to make any such notation anywhere.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

notification

Thanks, I was just concerned that with a distribution showing on the first page, that an explanation might neeed to be made somewhere. I cannot find that my software has anything--Drake

Comment

Tax Slayer you have to subtract it back out in order to generate the credit. I don't know how other software handles it. But any 1009-R negates the Retirement Contribution Credit. There is a way to take it out. Same for civil service retirement or any other that is paid in equal amounts monthly over a person's lifetime.

Comment

A military or any other kind of pension distribution should not affect this credit. Only 1099-R's marked "IRA, SEP, SIMPLE" would automatically flow over to 8880.

Comment

A military or any other kind of pension distribution should not affect this credit. Only 1099-R's marked "IRA, SEP, SIMPLE" would automatically flow over to 8880.

I don't think it is quite that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by ddoshan View Post
              I don't think it is quite that simple.
              Am willing to listen to a reasoned argument with open mind.

Comment

Tax Book page 11-15 last bullet under Retirement Savings Contribution Credit says: Do not reduce contributions by distributions from military retirement plans

Comment

Working...
                X