educator's adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

educator's adjustment

I have a client who works for school board as a social worker/counselor. She spends over $250 a year in supplies for her job with the students. Even though she is not a teacher per se, would you still give her the $250 adjustment?

Linda, EA

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
    I have a client who works for school board as a social worker/counselor. She spends over $250 a year in supplies for her job with the students. Even though she is not a teacher per se, would you still give her the $250 adjustment?

Linda, EA
    Counselor is an eligible educator, from Pub 17:

"a kindergarten through grade 12 teacher, instructor, counselor, principal, or aide who worked in a school for at least 900 hours during a school year."

Comment

More info perhaps?

Originally posted by BP. View Post
      Counselor is an eligible educator, from Pub 17:

"a kindergarten through grade 12 teacher, instructor, counselor, principal, or aide who worked in a school for at least 900 hours during a school year."
      From the OP, I think some further explanation as to "supplies" might be necessary.

As Paul Harvey used to day, "now for the rest of the story...."

If you are an eligible educator, you can deduct up to $250 ($500 if married filing joint and both spouses are educators, but not more than $250 each) of any unreimbursed expenses [otherwise deductible as a trade or business expense] you paid or incurred for books, supplies, computer equipment (including related software and services), other equipment, and supplementary materials that you use in the classroom.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
        ........, computer equipment (including related software and services), that you use in the classroom[/color][/b].[/i]FE
        Would you interpret "related services" to include costs for internet service/DSL lines?

Comment

books and games

She purchased books and games for the classroom. So that would qualify for her expenses.

Thanks

Linda, EA

Comment

Does a counselor usually have a classroom or is her office considered a classroom? Is it possible that these are donations to the school rather than "classroom expenses"?
            Yes she probably qualifies as an educator however, does the "classroom supplies" apply to all qualified educators or just those that run a classroom? We may be splitting hairs here. Any thoughts?
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X