1099 Misc box 3 for truck use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099 Misc box 3 for truck use

Taxpayer received a 1099 for his truck use for income that should have been included in his W-2. Starting in 2011 IRS has expanded form 8919 to include an option to pay the employees share of SS/Med tax. I have to do a 2010 tax return. Do I use form 8919 or form 4137 or do something else. I think it is 4137 but would like to have confirmation. I do not want to discuss the reasons and consequences.

Yes, the old 4137 for years before the other form became current.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Okay...so answer me this

IMO the company doesn't normally provide a car allowance as a benefit, perhaps, so they issued a 1099 for the rental of emp. vehicle. Would it be possible to either:

input on line 21 SE linked and 2106 for the expenses related to
      income adj on 2106 as a reimbursement for the use of the vehicle
      Sch E income and expenses-subject to SE. Easiest way for the IRS Darling to find the 1099.

Do you know what the reasoning was for them "renting his vehicle"...which is what this appears to be as to the 1099 being issued.
      For the company this sounds like a normal rental or lease of equipment rather than a "car allowance".
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Two questioons need to be asked & answered by the client before filing the 4137 / 8919, etc:
        1) Does he still work there?
        2) If so, does he want to keep his job?
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

It's not Sch E; it's a car, not real estate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
            It's not Sch E; it's a car, not real estate.
            Oops...finger slip!
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X