Mail prior year returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mail prior year returns

First of all does anyone know when it will be possible to efile prior year returns? I thought that was part of the point of MEF.

Second, I have Federal and NC for 2011 to mail. Do I send them where I would if they were 2012 returns or where I would have mailed them last year when I was filing 2011 returns timely? (I can look up either just don't recall which I should seek.)

Wow

I read in another thread where someone thought you could now efile 2011 returns so I called my software company and found out that I can and how to. I will therefore electronically file this return and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
      I read in another thread where someone thought you could now efile 2011 returns so I called my software company and found out that I can and how to. I will therefore electronically file this return and be done with it.
      Good for you. I just found out that ProSeries is not ready for prior year e-filing. What a bummer.

Comment

You can file prior year returns (2 years, I think) if they were otherwise qualified for MeF for that year. But, many states have not modernized their e-file. So, check with your software, look at the list of MeF forms, and check with your state(s).

Comment

Gretel...I agree we must get on ProSeries...I have the email address for the production office and will email them.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
            Gretel...I agree we must get on ProSeries...I have the email address for the production office and will email them.
            Well, when I asked on the phone they told me it will be included in future years. I can't imagine them putting much effort into getting this done in this tax season.

Comment

Well, when I asked on the phone they told me it will be included in future years. I can't imagine them putting much effort into getting this done in this tax season.
              It won't take any effort at all to introduce this "feature" in future years. For example a 2012 return filed this year is MeF compliant. Next year 2012 will be a prior year and still be compliant without changing anything. A few more years and all open years will be MeF compliant.

Comment

Working...
              X