Riddle of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riddle of the day

Some say this is a flaw in mathematics that cannot be explained. Is there a logical answer to this, or not? If you have heard this before, do not give away the answer right away. Let others try to figure it out first.

Here goes:

Three nicely dressed teenage boys go to a restaurant for lunch. At the end of the meal, they each hand the waiter a $10 bill for the cost of the meal plus the waiter’s tip. The waiter brings the $30 back to the till to ring up, when the restaurant owner takes out $5 and tells the waiter to give it back to the boys for being polite and nicely dressed in his establishment. The waiter gives each boy $1 and keeps $2 for himself.

Problem:

The boys each paid $9 for the meal ($10 - $1 = $9). $9 X 3 = $27. The waiter kept $2. $27 + $2 = $29. The boys originally paid $30. Where did the other dollar go?

The tip

The boys did not pay $9 plus the tip. The waiter subtracted his gratuity from the $27. Where you live, do waiters put extra money into the till?

Comment

Wrong answer…try again.

I never said they paid $9 plus the tip. The $9 includes their tip. That still does not explain where the missing dollar went.

Comment

The food

They came in with $30. Now the restaurant has $25, the waiter has $2, and they have $3. The only thing missing is the food.

Comment

From the restaurant owner's view

From the restaurant owner's view, he took in $30 for food and tip but returned $5. He now has $25 and nothing is missing. (Unless you consider that he still has to tip out the waiter from the $25 and the waiter also took another $2 from the boys' change.) $25 restaurant + $2 waiter + $3 boys = $30.
          Last edited by Lion; 08-29-2005, 11:53 AM. Reason: checking out turning signatures off & on

Comment

From the boys' view

From the boys' view, they thought they were paying $30 for meal and tip. Didn't know owner refunded $5, making their total $25. Before they received any change, waiter kept $2 of their $5 change, making their new total $27 for meal and tip. They each paid $9 which adds up to the $27 with nothing missing.

Comment

From the waiter's view

From the waiter's view, he went to the register with $30 including his tip. He carried $5 change per the owner back to the table, pocketing $2 on his way. And, probably still expects his tip from the original $30 in put in the register! He probably thinks something is missing, because the owner reduced the dinner price. My son's culinary arts major girlfriend says you make a lot more in the front of the house than in the kitchen.

Comment

OK, you both solved the riddle. The inherent problem with the riddle is trying to add income to expenses, as if that is supposed to mean something.

The boys each paid $9 for a total of $27. The waiter received $2.

Yes, $27 + $2 = $29, not $30. But so what?

Income plus expenses means nothing. The boys paid $27. The waiter received $2 and the restaurant owner received $25 (not counting the original tip).

$25 + $2 = $27 means something.

$27 + $2 = $29 means nothing.

Comment

Try it at a party sometime with non-accountant type people and you will get all kinds of goofy answers.

Comment

You have two US coins, one is not a nickle. How do you get 55 cents?

Comment

One is not

You have a fifty-cent piece and a nickel. One is not a nickel, the other one is.

Comment

If

If I post once more, am I a Senior Member?

Comment

Guess

Guess not!

Comment

Originally posted by Lion
                            You have a fifty-cent piece and a nickel. One is not a nickel, the other one is.
                            Yeah, I guess you're right. I gotta come up with tougher riddles.

Comment

I think I hit senior at 100.

Comment

Working...
                              X