EIC Requirements vs HH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EIC Requirements vs HH

Taxpayer just turned 26 and works part-time, with maybe $8K total income as a part-time hairdresser. Lives with grandparents, who support the household with much higher income levels.

Unquestionably, a taxpayer must be the chief support of the household to file as HH. This can be done with non-taxable income if it looks like the taxable income is insufficient. My 26-year-old cannot qualify as HH, and with only $8K total income, it wouldn't do her any good anyway.

EIC requirements, however, include in their questionnaire whether taxpayer's self-employment income is sufficient to support. In this case, obviously not. However, aside of this, for a taxpayer with no children, the qualifications do not mention adequacy of support.

I guess if I have a question, it might be "Without a child, does mere existence qualify for EIC, or must there be some modicum of support?"

Comments?
    Last edited by Snaggletooth; 02-17-2013, 03:12 AM.

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
    EIC requirements include in their questionnaire whether taxpayer's self-employment income is sufficient to support.
    Where have you found this EIC requirement?

Without a child, does mere existence qualify for EIC
    EIC chart on TTB 11-9 - Column titled "Rules Without a Qualifying Child"
    Last edited by BP.; 02-17-2013, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Self-Employed

Originally posted by BP. View Post
      Where have you found this EIC requirement?
      It is not a "requirement" in that sense of the word, but it is on the questionnaire for self-employed taxpayers.

EIC chart on TTB 11-9 - Column titled "Rules Without a Qualifying Child"
      I've never seen support listed as a requirement, but by virtue of no mention doesn't specifically answer with a "yes" or "no."
      I gather support is not necessary.

Thanks.

Comment

And filing status as HOH not necessary either for a single woman like described living with parents/grandparents.
        No problem using Single status.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
          "Originally Posted by BP.
          It is not a "requirement" in that sense of the word, but it is on the questionnaire for self-employed taxpayers."
          Get your quotes right. This isn't my statement; it's yours. I don't know about the EIC questionnaire asking self employed people about support.

Comment

EIC and Support

I agree with previous comments that there is no requirement that the taxpayer be supporting himself or a qualifying child for EIC. For a qualifying child, the requirement is that the child not provide more than half of the child's own support.

For EIC without a qualifying child, there is no explicit requirement that the taxpayer be providing his own support.

There does appear to be a question about support in the tax forms.

Observation: If self-employment income is the only source of income, and there is no savings, or student loans, or gifts from family, and the self-employment income is not enough for the taxpayer to be financially self-sufficient, it raises the possibility that the taxpayer may be the dependent, or qualifying child, of another taxpayer. This may, in some cases, trigger a responsibility for the tax professional to make additional inquiries.

Long before you get to EIC, your software expects you to mark a box if the taxpayer can be claimed as a dependent by someone else. If you did not mark that box, then you have effectively answered "no" to the question, "Can the taxpayer be claimed as a dependent?" That "answer" is arguably inconsistent with certain other facts, such as, for example, the taxpayer had only $3,200 in income during the entire year.

It is certainly possible that a taxpayer who made only $3,200 is not the dependent of anyone else. But on the surface, it appears rather odd. Remember that someone else may be able to claim them as a dependent under the qualifying relative rules, because their gross income is less than the personal exemption.

Both facts may well be correct. A taxpayer can have very low income and nevertheless not be a dependent. But due diligence for EIC means, among other things, that the tax pro cannot ignore inconsistent facts, and must make reasonable inquiries when the facts are not clear.

BMK
            Burton M. Koss
            koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Getting Quotes Right

Originally posted by BP. View Post
              Get your quotes right. This isn't my statement; it's yours. I don't know about the EIC questionnaire asking self employed people about support.
              BP, something about the way I made the data entry in this post actually INSERTED my statement into your quote and I couldn't get it corrected. Making changes to someone else's quote is not something I would intentionally do and I apologize that it happened. I appreciate your response to this thread and would not have you offended under any circumstances.

There used to be a famous Worksheet in the Instructions totally dedicated to self-employed people. It has been changed, or if it is still around I can't seem to find it. The question was asked whether the income was sufficient to support the taxpayer and/or kids. Drake has reproduced this question in their five 8867 sheets which must be filled out by the preparer.

Off-topic, but the self-employed section also asks questions designed to stop a self-employed person from increasing their income to fall in the EIC "sweet spot" of maximum value.

Comment

Working...
              X