Housing Allowance- Non Clergy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client received a 1099 Misc with $900 in box 7- non-employee compensation. His employer provides a housing allowance of $300 per month if you live in a certain area. I thought this would be listed in box 3- other income. I don't believe this payment is subject to self-employment tax.
    However, it is listed in box 7, which may cause IRS to think a Schedule C should be attached.

What's your read? SE tax or not? I currently have it on line 21 other income on 1040.

Thanks,

Taxadvisor VA

I think it should have been included in his gross wages on the W-2 in the first place. If I'm correct, then reporting it on Schedule C and paying the S/E tax would have the net effect of only costing him $72 (8% of the SocSec tax - an amount which the employer would have paid if it had been done properly.) Everything else he would have paid anyhow - employer half of the SocSec tax, income tax, etc.

I realize he's not in the business of living in a house so Schedule C really isn't applicable, but at some point you have to decide how much trouble you're going to endure for $72 and what you'll have to charge him for getting it all straightened out.

Now if the subsidy continues into this year, the client might want to have a converation with the employer about the proper treatement of the subsidy going forward. That might yield some positive results.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

JohnH

Thanks for your input. I do agree it is a minimal amount in 2012 and client told me that he will receive this allowance for the whole year in 2013 so $3,600 is a much larger number.

Your take is that it is tied to compensation as a taxable employee benefit. This probably why employer is putting it on a 1099.

Thanks again,

Taxadvisor VA

Comment

Yes, but I think the employer is wrong in reporting it on a 1099. It should be a part of gross wages since it it a personal living expense. Maybe there's some sort of exception here, and if so then perhaps someone else will jump in and correct me.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

John is absolutely right. Employer needs to review IRS rules for reporting compensation. It goes on his W-2 subject to all withholding and FICA taxes. He needs to add it each pay period. It is treated like a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Taxadvisor VA View Post
            What's your read? SE tax or not? I currently have it on line 21 other income on 1040.
            Thanks,
            Taxadvisor VA
            You can leave it on Line 21, but you still need to complete Sche SE.

Comment

Working...
            X