client and girlfriend purchase home together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

client and girlfriend purchase home together

client and girlfriend purchased home live together how is this treated for tax purposes. mfj, mfs there are no children involved.

Originally posted by rickmorrisllc View Post
    client and girlfriend purchased home live together how is this treated for tax purposes. mfj, mfs there are no children involved.
    You said client and girlfriend, then were talking about MFJ and MFS. Are they married?

Comment

client and girlfriend

Originally posted by dodgedipduck View Post
      You said client and girlfriend, then were talking about MFJ and MFS. Are they married?
      they are not married, in community property state, share all expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by rickmorrisllc View Post
        they are not married, in community property state, share all expenses.
        If they aren't married, they're neither MFJ or MFS. Probably single, if there are no kid in the picture.

Community property laws apply to married people.

In order to deduct mortgage interest and property taxes, the taxpayer must own the property. In order to deduct mortgage interest, the taxpayer must be liable for the debt secured by the home and must have actually made the payments.

If it's a boyfriend and girlfriend who are listed as co-owners on the property, each can deduct the property taxes he or she paid. If both are liable on the mortgage, each can deduct the amount he or she actually paid.

If you're looking at planning issues, having one person write a check to the other, and having the other person actually make the payments is necessary. You can't just split it up however you want.

Comment

thanks for the information

Comment

Originally posted by dodgedipduck View Post

If you're looking at planning issues, having one person write a check to the other, and having the other person actually make the payments is necessary. You can't just split it up however you want.
            Alternatively, set up a joint checking account, each puts in their share on a monthly basis, and pay all bills from that account; this lets them split the deductions with minimal bookkeeping.

It all depends on whether the goal is to split the deductions in proportion, or to allow one person to take the deductions while the other pays comparable amounts for non-deductible items.

Comment

Often a better strategy is to let the one with the higher income pay the mortgage from their account and claim the interest and property taxes while the other gets the standard deduction. This will result in a higher combined refund. Let the lower income person allocate their share of expenses to utilities, insurance and food.
              In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
              Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

If they both are on the deed and mortgage and have set up a joint account for household expenses, I go so far as to allocate the interest and property tax so it gives both the best outcome on their returns.
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

This may sound harsh, but in my opinion I believe you need more training before you prepare tax returns.

Comment

Originally posted by MRPLOW View Post
                    This may sound harsh, but in my opinion I believe you need more training before you prepare tax returns.
                    One has to start somewhere but, my advise would be to research the publication on the subject, Pub 17 and the form instructions before you ask questions here. We are all very busy and still willing to help....some of us after you have done you due diligence research....I'm in that group and I do beliieve MrPlow is also.
                    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                    X