Acquired Rental Property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acquired Rental Property

My new client acquired a rental property for the low low blue-light special price of $14,243.00. He is taking over payments, so all he paid up front was settlement cost, finder's fee, and something else that totaled the 14,243.

The balance on the loan is 80,056.

So, is the basis 94,299?

Thanks!

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!
    Last edited by Possi; 02-14-2013, 04:51 PM.
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

If he is taking over the payments, the principal balance of the payments should be added to the down payment to get the total basis. In this case, I'm not sure what to do if the land is worth more than the total basis, but I believe you could take the appraised value of the land and the appraised value of the other assets and apply the same ratio to the cost basis.
    For example:
    Appraised land value $150,000
    Appraised other asset value $ 200,000
    Total Appraised Value $ 350,000

Cost of the whole works = $280,000
    150/350 X $280,000 = Land Basis $ 120,000
    200/350 X $280,000 = Other Assets basis $ 160,000

Comment

Thanks

That sounds reasonable. Thanks for your help!
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Am I missing something?

I don't see how his basis can be greater than 94,299, regardless of what any appraisal says.
        Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Example

Originally posted by appelman View Post
          I don't see how his basis can be greater than 94,299, regardless of what any appraisal says.
          Yes, you are right. That was just an example of how to compute the land value if I need to do that.

94,299 it is...

Comment

this property was bought, it was not inherited. so his cost is his basis, the principal amount on loan and his closing cost total= $94,299

Comment

isn't his basis is the fmv or his costs whichever is less?
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

For depreciation, yes. For resale, no.

Comment

Working...
                X