Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Boyfriend Claim Child of His Girlfriend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Boyfriend Claim Child of His Girlfriend?

Boyfriend and girlfriend live together and had one child together. She brought one child into this relationship. She goes to school and has no income. Would the boyriend be able to claim this child? He supports everybody in the household.

Originally posted by zeros View Post
    Boyfriend and girlfriend live together and had one child together. She brought one child into this relationship. She goes to school and has no income. Would the boyriend be able to claim this child? He supports everybody in the household.
    Did that child live in same household as boyfriend for the entire year of 2012?
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Test

TTB 3-18
      Use the dependency test chart and you will see that the baby qualifies as a "qualifying relative" and not a qualifying "child"... I have been doing taxes for a long time, and I can't tell you how many times I go right back to that basic test.
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Yes, They all live together

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
        Did that child live in same household as boyfriend for the entire year of 2012?
        They all live together.

Comment

Originally posted by Possi View Post
          TTB 3-18
          Use the dependency test chart and you will see that the baby qualifies as a "qualifying relative" and not a qualifying "child"... I have been doing taxes for a long time, and I can't tell you how many times I go right back to that basic test.
          If Mom does not file a tax return, the answer is found at the top of page 3-17. If Mom filed a tax return, the answer is at the bottom of page 3-16. You should always use that chart before the dependency test chart on page 3-18 because it takes into consideration multiple taxpayers filing multiple returns.

Comment

What do you put down for the "relationship?"

If the boyfriend claims the child, what is put down for the "relationship?"

Comment

how about "none" isnt that a choice in software?

Comment

Boyfriend Claim Girlfriend?

In thinking about it couldn't the boyfriend claim the girlfriend also? She has no income and has not filed a return yet. All live together.

Comment

He can claim all 3 of them since he is supporting all of them. All qualify as dependents. Only his own child qualifies him for EIC if that applies. For girlfriend and her child they are dependents but no relationship

Comment

If he is treating the child as his own then the relationship is child son/daughter. If she made less than the dependency amount he can take her as other relation if she qualifies. I take it there is no male parent in the picture who pays child support.
                    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                      If he is treating the child as his own then the relationship is child son/daughter. If she made less than the dependency amount he can take her as other relation if she qualifies. I take it there is no male parent in the picture who pays child support.

You are incorrect.
                      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                        If he is treating the child as his own then the relationship is child son/daughter.
                        This is extremely incorrect, demonstrates negligence, and borders on fraud!! IMHO

Comment

Strongly agree

Originally posted by WhiteOleander View Post
                          You are incorrect.
                          Originally posted by dkss View Post
                          This is extremely incorrect, demonstrates negligence, and borders on fraud!! IMHO
                          with both opinions.

Comment

Working...
                          X