Part-Year Residen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part-Year Residen?

Student left Wisconsin to take a job at Indiana University (No income in Wisconsin). Didn't change her driver's license. Then she moved to Ohio for work at Ohio University . Then she changed her driver's license from Wisconsin to Ohio. Wondering if I should file as a part/year resident or file as a full year at Ohio?
    Last edited by zeros; 02-13-2013, 04:11 PM.

Part-year status likely

I do not see how the facts as presented could ever support a full-year resident of Ohio.

Your comment on "left Wisconsin" would require more facts/history. For that income, a case could likely be made for a WI part-year resident (before becoming a resident of OH) having non-resident IN income. Or, perhaps, a part-year resident of IN having IN income.

I'm not familiar with any of those states' taxes, so you might want to see if there are any reciprocal agreements between them. That could also change your answer.

In any case, I don't see "full-year resident" of OH as a choice.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by zeros View Post
      Student left Wisconsin to take a job at Indiana University (No income in Wisconsin). Didn't change her driver's license. Then she moved to Ohio for work at Ohio University . Then she changed her driver's license from Wisconsin to Ohio. Wondering if I should file as a part/year resident or file as a full year at Ohio?
      Changing a driver's license does not mean residency status. What were the dates of the moves? If all these moves were within one tax year, you are looking at part-year returns.

Comment

Working...
      X