DPAD for Sch C w/no W-2 employees

TTB 8-10. Who qualifies for the deduction? Any taxpayer with all three
    of the following qualifies for DPAD.

• A positive amount of QPAI,
    • A positive AGI for an individual, estate, or trust, or positive
    taxable income for all other taxpayers, and
    • Form W-2 wages paid to employees of the taxpayer. See W-2
    wages,

Is there any exception for which "W-2 wages paid to employees" does not apply on a Sch C business?

I haven't heard of any. For most of my clients, DPAD is limited by W-2 wages or lack thereof. (I get a kick out of all the K-1s that provide copious detail re DPAD with notes and statements but W-2 wages of 0!)

Comment

Form W-2 wages from an S corporation or partnership. S corporations and partnerships that meet specific requirements can choose to figure Form W-2 wages at the entity level and report the allocated portion of Form W-2 wages on Schedule K-1 to the S corporation shareholder or partner who then combines the allocated portion with Form W-2 wages from other sources on Form 8903 to determine the DPAD.
      If the S corporation or partnership meets the requirements to be classified as one of the eligible entities listed below, it can figure Form W-2 wages at the entity level and allocate Form W-2 wages to S corporation shareholders or partners.

Eligible small pass-through entity. See S corporations and partnerships, under Small Business Simplified Overall Method, on page 5 for the requirements.

Eligible widely-held pass-through entity. See S corporations and partnerships, under Simplified Deduction Method, on page 6 for the requirements.

In your opinion, do you think if the Sch C taxpayer elects to be taxed as a single shareholder S-Corp drawing a W-2 salary and the business product itself qualifies for DPAD, the W-2 employee issue would be solved?

Comment

Working...
      X