Need Some Help Regarding A Minister's Return Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Some Help Regarding A Minister's Return Please

New client. I am preparing 2010, 2011, & 2012. She has a W-2. Nothing in box 1. Withholding in box 2. Housing allowance reported in box 14. All earnings are designated as housing allowance.

She states that the W-2 is reporting disability. She is no longer working. There is a letter from United Methodist organization stating that after the minister receives disibility for 6 months, it is no longer subject to SECA. I can't find anything on the IRS site or my clergy books addressing this. Does anyone have any info?

Thanks
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

The income tax regulations specify that “income which is excludable from gross income under any provision of subtitle A of the Internal Revenue Code is not taken into account in determining net earnings
    from self-employment,” with certain exceptions. Treas. Reg. 1.1402(a)-2(a). I have not thoroughly researched this, however, if she paid for the disability policy wouldn't it fall under this provision.

Comment

Working...
    X