Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Efile for decedent - clarify please

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
    I've never heard of IRS questioning it. The executor supplies me with the court order appointing him as executor, I make a copy for my files and the executor/executrix simply signs the 8879 "his name, executor". Of course the return has an ICO line on it.
    Just curious: Have you been entering "Date of Death" in your software (which sometimes generates "Deceased" as occupation) and also initiates the mandatory printing across the top of the Form 1040 tax return "DECEASED John Smith 01/15/20xx."

Regardless of what executor paperwork I might have in hand, my software automatically blocks any efiling of a single decedent return, i.e. MFJ with "surviving spouse" is allowed to efile....but nothing else once the "date of death" field is completed.

This could be a software specific issue, but one would think the format of the underlying tax return would be the same for all.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
      Just curious: Have you been entering "Date of Death" in your software (which sometimes generates "Deceased" as occupation) and also initiates the mandatory printing across the top of the Form 1040 tax return "DECEASED John Smith 01/15/20xx."

Regardless of what executor paperwork I might have in hand, my software automatically blocks any efiling of a single decedent return, i.e. MFJ with "surviving spouse" is allowed to efile....but nothing else once the "date of death" field is completed.

This could be a software specific issue, but one would think the format of the underlying tax return would be the same for all.

FE
      Right. I had in mind the usual filing status of most all my clients, MFJ, wherein one of the spouses is exeuctor of the estate.
      Last Year however, a mother filed her deceased son's return (AND paid the tax due!) which I think was a paper filed return.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
        I've never heard of IRS questioning it. The executor supplies me with the court order appointing him as executor, I make a copy for my files and the executor/executrix simply signs the 8879 "his name, executor". Of course the return has an ICO line on it.
        There isn't always a court appointed executor.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
        X