1099-c received 2 years after death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099-c received 2 years after death

Taxpayer died in 2010. Daughter filed final income tax return for mom. Estate income return not done because
    no income. Daughter receives 2 1099-c for 2012 $14904 and $8514 that are in moms social security #.
    Mom probably was insolvent at time of death. Does this go on estate return for 2012 and does daughter have
    any tax consequence for 2012?

Thanks, DixieEA

See previous threads on these situations. 1099-C is for 2012. Mom died in 2010, and cannot filing an income tax return for 2012. Neither is the estate which is closed. Ignore.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
      See previous threads on these situations. 1099-C is for 2012. Mom died in 2010, and cannot filing an income tax return for 2012. Neither is the estate which is closed. Ignore.
      I agree. Solvency is determined as of the date the debt is cancelled, not the date the t/p died. So, both the decedent and the decedent's estate were insolvent. If the daughter were to later hear from the IRS regarding this, (which is highly unlikely) she could show insolvency at that point.
      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

If a return is not filed the IRS will, most likely, send a notice. I would file a return in 2012 including the insolvency form and a statement of facts.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

1099-c

Thanks, Burke, Whiteoleander,and taxea, I think I probably file the return and show insolvency to prevent IRS
          notice later on.

Thanks , DixieEA

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
            If a return is not filed the IRS will, most likely, send a notice. I would file a return in 2012 including the insolvency form and a statement of facts.
            I have seen a lot of these and in those circumstances where a CP2000 may be issued, notification that the TP is deceased (and when) is all that is necessary. Case closed and no further action occurs on the part of the IRS.

Comment

Burke if you file a return you won't have to deal with the aftermath.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
              X