1099-a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099-a

client received 1099-A , recourse debt, box 2 balance of principal outstanding ($232K) is less than box 4 fair market value (252K). Per client, both figures are greatly overstated. She also believes property has been sold for approximately $90k. No 1099-C has been received.

According to the instructions, if the situation was reversed, fmv less than principal outstanding, there would be cancellation of debt income.

What do I do with this 1099-A. My brain is fried.

Your client sold the property to the mortgage holder. Report the sale in the usual place such as Schedule D or Form 4797 or where ever depending on the use your client made of the property.

Comment

Duh! (smacks head)

Originally posted by Lion View Post
      Your client sold the property to the mortgage holder. Report the sale in the usual place such as Schedule D or Form 4797 or where ever depending on the use your client made of the property.
      Thanks! Why didn't I remember that?

In my defense, this year I switched to Drake (which I love) after using Taxworks for 10 years. And I'm on a new operating system. And I'm getting older. And I'm really annoyed with our elected officials for delaying things. And...need I go on.

Comment

You're not alone...

Originally posted by bgiez View Post
        Thanks! Why didn't I remember that?

In my defense, this year I switched to Drake (which I love) after using Taxworks for 10 years. And I'm on a new operating system. And I'm getting older. And I'm really annoyed with our elected officials for delaying things. And...need I go on.
        bgiez,

Thanks for posting your question -- it's been a couple years since I got a 1099-A so I searched and found your thread. I also switched to Drake this year (from ATX about Jan 15th!) so am still trying to figure some things out with the software.

Bill

Comment

I got a 1099-A this year from a client in which the FMV is listed as $99,581.32. Now how did they come up with that odd amount? (Outstanding debt was $80K). It was a deed-in-lieu-of-foreclosure situation. Does that mean they sold the property for the $99K figure and are keeping the balance of the funds? They did start paying everything after the DILOF was signed, including HOA dues, etc. etc.

Comment

I actually have a similar question. Is there any special situation that the lender only needs to issue a Form 1099-C, but not 1099-A, for a foreclosed property?

Comment

Originally posted by RightOn View Post
              I actually have a similar question. Is there any special situation that the lender only needs to issue a Form 1099-C, but not 1099-A, for a foreclosed property?
              When the FMV is less than the amount owed, and the difference is over $600 or something like that, then there is reportable COD.

Notice in the above examples, the FMV was more than the debt, and for some reason the T/P abandoned the property. The bank sells for FMV, pays off the loan (no remaining debt, thus no 1099C) and then what they do with the remaining cash???

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X