No announcement yet.

8867 eic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There doesn't seem to be any general consensus on signing the form and given the lack of any specific IRS direction, it appears most of us are doing whatever things make us feel halfway "safe" (if that's possible). I'm having them sign the two page EIC worksheet that ATX prints out with the 8867, but neither do I think that it means a lot. I guess that, like others have said, it at least shows that it was brought up with the client, for what that's worth.

Right now, for clients claiming grandkids or anybody other than sons and daughters, I'm asking for a school letter or report card, social security cards, medical bill, custody papers, whatever they can scrape up. It may be overkill, but I want to nail it down and...you never know. But I won't do it again next year unless it's a new guy.

Comment

I sign and have them sign each page, with a statement that I have asked and explained all the questions. It also reminds the client of why I'm charging so much for the EIC forms, all the added paperwork and responsibility.

Might not be required by the IRS, but neither is an engagement letter, and I use that to.

Comment

Working...
      X