Child Care 2441 Question Wife full time student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child Care 2441 Question Wife full time student

I have a client that TP has the only earned income. Spouse was a full time student for at least part of year. They have daycare expenses of 9000.
    Would I handle this by putting on line 19 in drake of the 2441 screen 500.00 per month for each month she attended school in this box since they have more than 2 children. Would this be the correct way to handle

Ron

Originally posted by photoman View Post
    I have a client that TP has the only earned income. Spouse was a full time student for at least part of year. They have daycare expenses of 9000.
    Would I handle this by putting on line 19 in drake of the 2441 screen 500.00 per month for each month she attended school in this box since they have more than 2 children. Would this be the correct way to handle

Ron
    I think so. However remember to use only the child care expense for the months she was in school.

I'm pretty sure all this is treated in the Taxbook. Somewhere.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Thanks for all the help

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
      I think so. However remember to use only the child care expense for the months she was in school.

Much appreciated

ron

Comment

It's clarified in IRC §21(d)(2)
        EAnOK

Comment

Originally posted by smithtax View Post
          It's clarified in IRC §21(d)(2)
          Got a chuckle from that one. In the convoluted, legalese, IRC, something is indeed "clarified?" (LOL
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Got a chuckle from that one. In the convoluted, legalese, IRC, something is indeed "clarified?" (LOL
            Yeah. We have to remember who writes the code (g).
            EAnOK

Comment

To really simplify things. . .

You could just read the instructions for line 5 as shown on page 4 of http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i2441.pdf

In the simplest of terms, the allowable dependent care expenses are limited to certain income "earned" by the parent(s). Those who are students/disabled are allowed to use a fixed, monthly dollar amount for that limitation, even if they did not "work."

FE

Comment

Working...
              X