Where's My Refund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's My Refund

No one dares give out phone numbers anymore. God forbid someone answer the phone, or even an answer machine...

Does anyone know the PHONE NUMBER (Please, not the website, not the url, not the address, not the "contact us", etc.)
    for the Where's My Refund number?

20% of the people where I live don't have a computer. Most of the rest can't navigate through the IRS website.

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
    Does anyone know the PHONE NUMBER for the Where's My Refund number?
    Would you believe, this too is covered by TTB? P. 15-1.

Comment

Where's my refund phone number

800-829-4477

Comment

Thanks to Traveling EA

...for providing the number. I'm sure I could have eventually found it in TTB if I had known where it was categorized, but it was so succinct just to have the number and be done with it.

If you are ever happening to be a "Traveling EA" down through the sunny south, let me know...

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
          so succinct just to have the number
          If succinct is what you're after, this is the refund hotline- 1-800-829-1954.

Comment

Originally posted by BP. View Post
            If succinct is what you're after, this is the refund hotline- 1-800-829-1954.
            The 1954 number is for If you have not received your refund within 30 days, or the date the 4477 number gave to call. I would call the 4477 number first. If the refund is not received by the date the 4477 number gave your or it is past 30 days, then the 1954 number should be used.
            Last edited by Traveling EA; 02-07-2013, 07:28 AM.

Comment

You have the info

You can look it up for someone if you prepared the return.
              I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Not a good idea

My approach would be to let the client have the phone number. I can imagine what will happen if I offer to call the IRS on their behalf looking for a refund. I can even charge extra for the service, but it would be counterproductive.

As stated earlier, NO ONE wants to pay someone to answer the phone anymore. You are instead directed to a website, Frequently Asked Questions, or "Send us an e-mail" and we will get back with you "at the first available opportunity" assuming we understand what you are e-mailing us about. An additional deterrent to using the phone is to understaff your receptionists so someone has to wait 30 minutes to get through.

Maybe I can call for the client, but I'm going to give the client the number and let him put up with it. If they don't have their refund after 60 days I will then get involved (for a fee). Often I found out the refund has been whisked off to pay child support or a bankruptcy court, but that's a different subject.

Comment

You sure about that number?

Originally posted by Traveling EA
                  800-829-4477
                  I just dialed that number and got that "Beep, beep, beep ... the number you are calling has been disconnected or is no longer in service" recording. Tried again ... same result.
                  Roland Slugg
                  "I do what I can."

Comment

irs wheres ny refund

Try 1-800-829-1040

Comment

Making those phone calls

I do not get involved in chasing client refunds unless it appears there is a legitimate (delay) issue involved.

Also, as stated here:

How long should I wait to check for my refund status?
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer:
                      Please wait 72 hours after you e-file. If you filed on paper, please allow 3 to 4 weeks before checking on the status of your refund.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the "no computer"/telephone issue, in today's world it is just not realistic to expect to dial a number and have instant contact with a real human being, especially when other options (such as web site) are readily available.

It is possible to access the "Where's My Refund" by calling 1-800-829-1040 and going through the automated system. There are a lot of prompts/number-punching involved, but you eventually obtain the same information as you would otherwise receive by going online.

FE

Comment

Working...
                      X