How much would you charge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much would you charge?

MFJ w/2 dependent kids w/Sch A and 2 Sch C's. TP & Spouse have their own un related separate home businesses. The spouse does the books for each business.

To start

1040, state of Mi and Sch A is $250. Each Sch C STARTS at $55 and goes up depending on how much bookkeeping is involved. If there is SE tax there is a charge for that, office in home - a charge for that, 4562 - a charge for that, Do they qualify for EIC? Charge it.

Need more facts.
    I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

$350 - $500 Est.

Comment

Depends on how much I'm having to do to the Schedule C's. A blanket fee for a form is silly IMO. A Schedule C could mean 2 hours work or it could mean <10 minutes.

Same with a Schedule A. Those can take 5 minutes or 30 minutes. Client today brought in a folder full of medical bills I had to total.
        Last edited by Roberts; 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Roberts

Originally posted by Roberts View Post
          Depends on how much I'm having to do to the Schedule C's. A blanket fee for a form is silly IMO.
          So you think you can leave your repeating judgments out of your posts? If one doesn't know all the fact and circumstances - and we almost never do reading a post - we cannot judge anything, even in a good sense.

Comment

Minimum $230, assuming sched CEZ's and SE's, no depreciation, no OIH, no interest, no dividends, no EIC, no 8812, no 8880, no 5695, no 2441, no 8863....

I am located in a town of approx 10,000 people.

Comment

Blanket fee

A blanket fee per form speeds up the billing process. If other work is necessary I can change the fee for that particular form on that client only. Or, I can add a line to the invoice like "Accounting for Schedule C.......$500".

I use to waste my time looking at the amount of time I have into the preparation of each tax return, looking at what I billed them last year, figuring out what I should increase it by, etc. Now it is review the bill, and change anything that may need changing (rare) print the return and go.
              I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
                So you think you can leave your repeating judgments out of your posts? If one doesn't know all the fact and circumstances - and we almost never do reading a post - we cannot judge anything, even in a good sense.
                The poster asked for an estimate.

I can do the OP's return for $150 if it's basic enough.
                I could also charge an almost unlimited amount if it's complex enough.

I know a guy who runs over 50 rental properties through his personal Schedule E.
                I know a guy who runs a medical practice through his Schedule C (mind boggling to me).
                My sister-in-law's father runs a construction company through his Schedule C - he builds 10-20 homes each year.

Comment

My estimate

Based on what you have told us, if you were a client I would say around $400 but maybe as high as $500 to cover any missing issues.

Comment

Would ask the client to bring in prior year's return before I'd quote. Can't imagine I'd say less than $500, but really can't say without seeing the complexity.

Comment

this

[QUOTE=Roberts;147857] A blanket fee for a form is silly IMO. QUOTE]

has been discussed here before - I for one do NOT change on amount of time spent per form - I may be a fast preparer and would cost myself $ ?? Seriously my fee incudes my KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE not just my time!

Comment

My estimate would be $300 going only on those forms.

Comment

Thanks for the input

Actually its a 2nd year repeat client and I charged $285 last year. Its one of my fellow church members that I give discounts to but I think I will raise my fee to $295 for 2012.

Comment

You'll find it much easier going forward if you break the $300 psychological barrier with him right now.
                            (I say "psychological barrier" for your benefit - probably doesn't matter that much to the client)

You're eventually going to have to do it, so just get it over with.
                            Then you'll be free to concentrate on meaningful increases in the future.
                            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

You are SO correct JohnH

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                              You'll find it much easier going forward if you break the $300 psychological barrier with him right now.
                              (I say "psychological barrier" for your benefit - probably doesn't matter that much to the client)

You're eventually going to have to do it, so just get it over with.
                              Then you'll be free to concentrate on meaningful increases in the future.
                              You are SO correct JohnH.

Comment

Working...
                              X