Health Insurance on W-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staggering

I am seeing these too, one that sticks out in my memory was for a State Employee where the taxable income was
    appx $25K and the amount of health insurance furnished was over $17,000. To my knowledge, full-time State employees
    in Tennessee pay ZERO out of their paycheck for health insurance.

Most other commercial employers gouge the employee's paycheck for as much as they can get away with. I know an
    employer in Nashville where the employees are payroll deducted the entire cost of their coverage.

The way I understand it, this cannot continue. Obamacare says in 2014 that the most that can be payroll withheld is
    9.5% of "employee's household income." So the employer will have to pay over 90% of the cost, shut down their
    operation to less than 50 employees, or cut back the employee hours to 30 hours weekly.

Do any of you know how an employer is supposed to calculate "employee's household income?" Or whether there have
    been updates in the law? I'm already talking to clients about this and they are horrified.

Comment

Informational Purposes ONly

The info under DD is for informational purposes only (at least for this year). It does include the employee paid portion. It should be the total amount the company is billed by the insurance company which includes what the company has the employee pays.

Comment

Working...
      X