Head of Household

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head of Household

An unmarried male owns a home and a friend lives with him. The friend also files a tax return. The male provides over one-half of the support of maintaining the home. Can the male file as head of household and the friend file as single? The friend is not a dependent. Thank you!

Unless the Male has a dependent qualifying child, he cannot claim HOH. The friend will not qualify him for HOH.

Comment

Originally posted by jrgwmay View Post
      An unmarried male owns a home and a friend lives with him. The friend also files a tax return. The male provides over one-half of the support of maintaining the home. Can the male file as head of household and the friend file as single? The friend is not a dependent. Thank you!
      See TTB pgs starting with 3-15 the answer is probably no but you didn't provide income or enough data on the other person
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
        See TTB pgs starting with 3-15 the answer is probably no but you didn't provide income or enough data on the other person
        As DKSS notes, the answer is definitely no. See IRC ยง2(b)

Comment

Neither of these things matter. Even if an unrelated person is a dependent under the Qualifying Relative rules, they are not a qualifying person for HoH. See Pub 501 page 10 for a chart outlining these rules.

Comment

Originally posted by KBTS View Post
            Neither of these things matter. Even if an unrelated person is a dependent under the Qualifying Relative rules, they are not a qualifying person for HoH. See Pub 501 page 10 for a chart outlining these rules.
            But you can't make that determination without knowing all the facts and all the facts on the roommate were not provided in the OP

Comment

But you can't make that determination without knowing all the facts and all the facts on the roommate were not provided in the OP
              I think it's fair to assume that "friend" rules out child, parent, sibling, in-law, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
                I think it's fair to assume that "friend" rules out child, parent, sibling, in-law, etc.
                I shy away from assuming. I'm more a don't believe anything until you verify it type. Must be my "prior life" influence, you know, "once a cop always a cop" mentality

Comment

In order to claim HofH the other person must meet the dependency status. I don't think a working friend qualifies.
                  ken

Comment

you never know until you ask. The devil is in the details.

Comment

Working...
                    X