Ein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ein

Years ago IRS said, if you have an EIN for a Schedule C business and you have now become a household employer, then use the Schedule C EIN to report the household wages. Now I have the oppositre situation. Household employer (with EIN) now has to give out her SS # or EIN to people who are paying her. They want a number from her, for the 1099 forms they need to give to her. I am thinking it is ok to give the EIN. Any one know for sure if this is OK?

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
    Years ago IRS said, if you have an EIN for a Schedule C business and you have now become a household employer, then use the Schedule C EIN to report the household wages. Now I have the oppositre situation. Household employer (with EIN) now has to give out her SS # or EIN to people who are paying her. They want a number from her, for the 1099 forms they need to give to her. I am thinking it is ok to give the EIN. Any one know for sure if this is OK?
    You describe payor as a household employer, signifying that your client (?) is working in the payor's household. In this case a 1099 is not warranted; rather your client should be getting a w2 form in her/his own name and SSN.

Does that fit the facts?
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I believe your client is the employer, right?

If she doesn't want to give out her SSN, I can't see anyone objecting to her use of the EIN.
      Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

My Cliient

My client is the Household Employer with an EIN. She is also a landlord renting space to sole proprietors who want to give her a 1099 Form as required by law. I am thinking it is ok for her to give them the EIN and want to see if others agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
          My client is the Household Employer with an EIN. She is also a landlord renting space to sole proprietors who want to give her a 1099 Form as required by law. I am thinking it is ok for her to give them the EIN and want to see if others agree.
          For what purpose did the TP get the EIN? Although it is required for some licensed businesses it is not normally used to report sole proprietor income unless one has employee. In this case the TP has a household employee ( I don't think an EIN was required for this purpose) usually her SSN would be used on a W-2 unless you are saying that she has a business that provides household employees to clients. Her rentals are not considered a business unless she files a Sch C (as a rental pro) rather than a Sch E as a (rental owner). In this case if she files Sch E she provides her SSN to the renters.

I don't think she can lump the rentals with a household business...they are two different kinds of entities. They would be required to be filed on separate returns. We need clarification here.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
          X