Rental to personal use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rental to personal use

Client had rental property upto Sep 05. Client spent $8,000 fixing it. Then In Oct he started using it for personal use.

Just wanted to confirm that I should treat this conversion as a "SALE" and recapture depretiation.

Next, allocate all expenses - mortgage interest etc between personal and rental use.

No sale

Stop the depreciation in September, do not deduct the 8,000 spent fixing it up for personal use and allocate mtg int and taxes between schedules A & E.

No recapture of depreciation until the property is actually sold.
    I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Sova
      No recapture of depreciation if it is owed personally, however if it is owned by a S-corp or C-corp it would be a taxable sale/distribution to the individual. Partnership could be taxable sale or not depending upon if it was purchased by the partnership or contributed to the partnership by the same individual. my 2¢±¼

Comment

Originally posted by OldJack
        No recapture of depreciation if it is owed personally, however if it is owned by a S-corp or C-corp it would be a taxable sale/distribution to the individual. Partnership could be taxable sale or not depending upon if it was purchased by the partnership or contributed to the partnership by the same individual. my 2¢±¼
        Thanks

It is owned personally

Comment

Sort of disagree...

Originally posted by Matt Sova
          Stop the depreciation in September, do not deduct the 8,000 spent fixing it up for personal use and allocate mtg int and taxes between schedules A & E.

Matt, Client spent money because TENANT CAUSED so much damage. Thus expenses were incurred because of rental. Has to replace carpet, buy new stove etc. I think then he shoul dbe allowed to deduct.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
            Matt, Client spent money because TENANT CAUSED so much damage. Thus expenses were incurred because of rental. Has to replace carpet, buy new stove etc. I think then he shoul dbe allowed to deduct.
            Only if he was going to continue renting
            Brian

Comment

Working...
            X