IRA contributions in year Taxpayer dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRA contributions in year Taxpayer dies

I have a client who was born 7/22/42 died 12/12/12. Made a $600 Traditional IRA contribution before he passed. The software I am using is not allowing the IRA deduction when I add the Date of Death.
    I have reviewed Pub 590 and I can not find any language that supports that this is a deduction that is not allowed.
    Does anyone have supporting info on this.
    The client would not ahve turned 701/2 until Jan 2013 so it is not the 70 1/2 rule that is disallowing this deduction.

UltraTax

I entered the data in my system as a test subject. $25,000 in wages $600 IRA contribution and 7/22/42 and 12/12/12 as dates of birth and death. $600 IRA contribution is allowed. Could be a software issue?
    I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Must be a software issue as Matt says. He was alive when he made the contribution. It was legal then, and does not become illegal just because he's dead. By "illegal" I mean it's not permitted by IRS as a tax matter.

The only time it can't be done in year of death, is after death. Once had a client who actually did make the contribution to her deceased husband's IRA, and the bank accepted it.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Did he have earned income of at least $600 in 2012? Many 70-yo people don't.
        Roland Slugg
        "I do what I can."

Comment

Things to check

1 - If you remove the DOD entry, does your software then allow the IRA deduction?

2 - As Roland Slugg asked, did your client have sufficient earned income to allow any Traditional IRA deduction?

FE

Comment

What software are you using?
            Seems like the diagnostic should tell you why it isn't allowing the adjustment.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
            X