No announcement yet.

Car expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If a client tells me in the course of the interview they have a log that they can produce if the IRS comes calling, that is all I need. I just make a note of it in the software. Same thing with charitable contributions and medical. That said, the vast majority do come with all their records, and it makes the return that much easier.

Also, every client fills out an info sheet about their tax situation. Single and 1 W-2 or married with 10 kids, everyone fills it out, and it goes in their file. Just another part of due diligence.
    If I'm wrong, please correct me, because I don't have the tax knowledge y'all have. Cheers!

admin@badfloridadrivers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Questionguy101 View Post
      If your client cannot or refuse to provide you with the mileage log (even if he tells you he has it at home), you cannot claim car expenses for him. Am I correct?
      I just want to clarify my post. I give my client a business use worksheet. If they fail to provide the vehicle information on the worksheet and can't say yes to "do you have a log? is there a reason why you didn't include the information on the worksheet?" I explain to TP that 1. either he doesn't qualify for actual expenses because he used mileage in the first year or 2. without the mileage figures I can't determine the actual expenses to take and he is going to be paying taxes he shouldn't have to pay. Now the ball is in his court.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
        I just want to clarify my post. I give my client a business use worksheet. If they fail to provide the vehicle information on the worksheet and can't say yes to "do you have a log? is there a reason why you didn't include the information on the worksheet?" I explain to TP that 1. either he doesn't qualify for actual expenses because he used mileage in the first year or 2. without the mileage figures I can't determine the actual expenses to take and he is going to be paying taxes he shouldn't have to pay. Now the ball is in his court.
        "1. either he doesn't qualify for actual expenses because he used mileage in the first year"

That is incorrect. See TTB 10-5

Comment

Working...
        X