No announcement yet.

OT: Quoting Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has helped me to have a price sheet of all the form prices posted clearly in my office. When I get those questions in calls, I refer to the price sheet with what forms I think they will need from what they tell me. Then I always say "if you happen to need any other forms it will be more based on what you need". Some of my forms are priced or I charge hourly and I always am sure to tell them whenever that is the case. If it is more, they can see the price sheet posted plainly in my office so that they know that are not being ripped off! There are times that I discounted my prices to more closely match what I told them on the phone and they KNOW they are getting a discount and they are loyal and tell others about me. People appreciate when you treat them well!

Comment

Price quotes

I personally think it is very reasonable for a client to request a price quote. That does not mean that I am going to provide one but I do try to think of it from the clients point of view. They might not know you from a fence post and usually they just want to make sure they're not going to get ripped off.

I use a response that is desinged to put the client at ease about that while still NOT providing a price quote. My response goes something like this:

"Unfortunately, it is impossible to quote prices without actually seeing what needs to be done. Even then, there are many variables that can crop up in the interview process. As a result, it is our policy to NOT quote fees at all, whether over the phone or even face to face. We do understand, however, that clients want to be sure that they are being charged fairly so we do provide the following information:

1. Our fees generally run at least 10% to 15% less than the national chains and most CPA firms.

2. We guarantee new clients, in writing, that our fee will save them at least $40 ($20 for 1040A or 1040EZ) over what they paid any of the following tax return preparers for their previous year’s tax return:
      ■Any preparer who prepared the return as an employee of any of the three largest national tax preparation firms, or
      ■Any Certified Public Accountant, or
      ■Any other person enrolled to practice (an EA) before the IRS.

3. If, after we are totally finished with preparing your tax return, you are not completely happy, we will return your materials to you so you can go somewhere else. In that case you will not pay anything at all and we will part friends."

This is also posted on the FAQ page of our website and I have found that it is very effective in defusing the price quote question while providing a level of comfort to the client about pricing.
      Lennox C. (Len) Boush, EA, FNTPI
      Heritage Income Tax Service, Inc.
      Portsmouth, VA

Comment

A 1040 with Schedule A and the State of MI return without any subtractions or credits is $250 and the price will increase from there based on any other required forms and schedules you may need.
        I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

I am usually less expensive than CPA firms, but I NEVER try to be. And, I try to be more expensive than HRB and the big box stores. I try to compete on service and not on price.

Comment

"My basic fee for returns is xxxxx which increases based on the complexity of the return. The fee includes my expertise". If asked why I charge more than "so and so". I respond with "You get what you pay for. Do you want your return done correctly or do you want it done cheap?"
            If I took the time to estimate each return I wouldn't have time to prepare the returns.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X