Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Return Prep

Good Morning All,
    I am about to do a tax return for free of charge for a friend. It is one with just one W2 and that's it. Would you sign the return anyway? I do plan on e-filing. Thanks

I sign all returns I do whether I charge for them or not. I even show myself as a "paid preparer" on my own return.

However, if you don't want to be shown as a paid preparer, there are options to avoid showing yourself as a paid preparer.

Comment

I don't generally sign returns when I don't charge.
      I only sign when I'm the "Paid Preparer" because that's what the instructions say to do.
      I do consider myself to be the "Paid Preparer" any time I issue an invoice, even in those rare cases where the client ultimately doesn't pay me.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by taxxcpa View Post
        I sign all returns I do whether I charge for them or not. I even show myself as a "paid preparer" on my own return.
        Ditto. If I'm doing the work, I'm putting my name on my work.

Comment

Would show normal preparer info

I would still file as "paid preparer" even if it was a no-charge return.

(Invoice, then give off-setting courtesy discount if you wish.)

Showing your name, etc might also come in handy should there be any problems down the line with the tax return.

FE

Comment

Looks sort of like an even split so far, so I'll vote for NOT signing.
            Of course I don't even do freebies. (grin
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

My software allows me to e-file all returns whether they are paid preparer returns, non-paid preparer returns, or self-prepared returns. You can be an ERO without being the paid preparer. Thus, I see no advantage of putting your name and PTIN on a non-paid return if you don't have to. If you put your name on it, you are exposing yourself to preparer penalties if the taxpayer fails to include all income or can't substantiate all deductions in an audit.

Comment

Sign 'em all as Paid Prep

even my own

Comment

I sign all of the returns I prepare, even if I don't charge.

Comment

I sign my work.

Comment

Originally posted by taxxcpa View Post

However, if you don't want to be shown as a paid preparer, there are options to avoid showing yourself as a paid preparer.
                      I sign my work. If the IRS mails notices it allows me to talk to them. It is very beneficial to me when problems arise.
                      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Do several free every year and I sign them all

Comment

I will sign!

Yep, due to all the responses, I've decided to sign this freebie. Thanks a lot. I love this forum!!!!

Comment

I sign all returns

The only returns I do for free are my mother and my daughter. My "adopted" kids sometimes forget to pay me but their returns are usually ez returns.

But I sign them all.

Linda, EA

Comment

I sign all returns.

I sign all returns that have my fingerprints on them regardless.....I do many free returns; family, friends, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X