Package X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Package X

Apparently Quickfinder is no longer issuing Package X. Does anyone know of a substitute? It was an awfully handy thing to have on the shelf. Maybe something for TTB to take on.
    Evan Appelman, EA

The IRS has a disk that replaced the Package X and it includes 5 years of forms/instructions
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Yeah, but...

That's $30+ plus shipping, and you still have to print everything out!
      Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Package X

I think appelman is looking for a hardcopy product that does not have to be read on a screen...

I'm not sure why anyone would buy that disk, other than maybe some private libraries, academic institutions, or possibly large accounting firms. Almost anything on the disk should also be available on the IRS website.

So the disk would only be useful for someone who reaaaaaaly needs a copy of Schedule M from 2009, while out of the office, in a place with no internet access.

I heard a rumor online that one of the storefront chains was trying to lease space for an office inside the research facility in Antarctica...

BMK
        Burton M. Koss
        koss@usakoss.net

Comment

I set up my own "Package X" each year.

I print from the IRS website the various forms and schedules that I normally use in my tax practice.

I start with a 2" to 3" three-ring binder.

I put the forms/schedules in sheet protectors so that I can remove and copy if needed. I print the instructions in "duplex format" and put those behind the form/schedule.

Ready for future reference.

This can be improved as tax season rolls on.

I don't normally print the basic forms unless there has been a major change.
          Jiggers, EA

Comment

Forget all the paper/ink/booklet stuff

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
            I set up my own "Package X" each year.

I print from the IRS website the various forms and schedules that I normally use in my tax practice.

I start with a 2" to 3" three-ring binder.

I put the forms/schedules in sheet protectors so that I can remove and copy if needed. I print the instructions in "duplex format" and put those behind the form/schedule.

Ready for future reference.

This can be improved as tax season rolls on.

I don't normally print the basic forms unless there has been a major change.
            The world is obviously sliding away from needing many things in paper+ink format. Not only does such take up storage space, it is costly.

Consider: http://www.irs.gov/Forms-&-Pubs/Prior-Year-Forms

Follow the link, then try something like typing in "17" and you will be able to view/store/print any part of Publication 17 going back to 1994. Then use "Form 1040 (Schedule A&B)" for the search, and if you want to retrieve a 1970 Schedule A/B (and/or instructions).....there it is!

Using that option, it is quite simple to "save" or even "print" things you may need via PDF files. Even for later use when no/no "free" internet access is readily available.

And if you need a real chuckle or two, here IS the 1970 Schedule A/B: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040sab--1970.pdf

(But I still request online each year that a "real" Pub 17 be mailed to me by the IRS. Hopefully mine might arrive by April 15th?)

FE

Comment

Originally posted by appelman View Post
              Apparently Quickfinder is no longer issuing Package X. Does anyone know of a substitute? It was an awfully handy thing to have on the shelf. Maybe something for TTB to take on.
              If Quickfinder is no longer selling it, that means it didn't sell many copies. They'd sell you the phone book if they thought they could make a buck. As others have pointed out, everything in Package X is available for free on the IRS website. I'll bet if you compared the price of buying it from QF vs. printing everything yourself from IRS website and putting it in a 3-ring binder, you'd find the 3-ring binder option cheaper.

Comment

Not by a long shot...

If I include the value of my time.
                Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

I totally agree that it is not necessary to spend any money on a disk when the IRS site can provide nearly everything you need.
                  Jiggers-do you manually do the returns? I wouldn't go through alll that trouble when I can just pull what I need online.
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                  X