Here's A New One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's A New One

In today's mail I received notice of deficiency letters for a couple whom I have never heard of in my life - yet the letters show I am the authorized representative! So I called the IRS Practitioner Hotline to find out how to be removed from this account. Imagine my surprise when I was told I would need to write a letter stating I am not POA and have no knowledge of the taxpayers - then mail the letter along with all the stuff from the IRS back to the IRS address on the letter! So they make a mistake, and I have to take the time and effort to write a letter and then pay to mail their junk back to them - WOW!

Inaccurate CAF Record

Maybe you should call the taxpayer...

You might get a new client.

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Withdrawal of Authorization

On the IRS e-services platform, there is an option to modify an existing Form 2848 or Form 8821.

I have never tried to use it. I suppose it could be used to add another tax year, or something like that. But in principle, you should be able to "modify" it by deleting it, or by removing all tax years.

But even assuming that you could find the inaccurate POA and delete it in the e-services platform, I wouldn't recommend it in this case. Modifying or deleting it would not create a record of the fact that the authorization was never really valid to begin with, i.e., you never actually had such authority. It seems to that a letter to the IRS is the only way to do that.

BMK
      Burton M. Koss
      koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Send a bill to the taxpayers saying you are their authorized representative and you are billing them for the time you spent reviewing their CP-2000 letter. Maybe then they will contact IRS and remove you as their POA for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
          Send a bill to the taxpayers saying you are their authorized representative and you are billing them for the time you spent reviewing their CP-2000 letter. Maybe then they will contact IRS and remove you as their POA for you.
          Might not be a bad idea, but their address is not on the notice anywhere. They are probably going to be a bit upset since they owe over $10,000 and their actual representative did not get a copy of the letter.

Comment

identity theft?

Did you check the social security number of the unknown client against your records? Maybe one of your real clients has been a victim of identity theft and they don't know it.
            Noel
            "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Acownt4it View Post
              Did you check the social security number of the unknown client against your records? Maybe one of your real clients has been a victim of identity theft and they don't know it.
              GOod idea. However, if that fails, I would simply trash the correspondence and ignore it.
              I would not waste my time. if another notice arrives, it will have taxpayer's name on it ICO you,
              so then you without opening the envelope mark it "return to sender."
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
              X